Should I change the front rotors and pads?

CINDY SCHOPPET
  • 2017 HYUNDAI SONATA
I had the brake pads changed at 50,000. But there is a little shaking on steep downhills. Should I have the rotors and pads changed again or will just replacing the rotors be okay?
Saturday, February 20th, 2021 AT 5:40 AM

Hi,

If you are feeling a shaking in the steering wheel, chances are it is the rotors. In most cases, I like to replace both at the same time. However, since you just replaced the pads, I feel it should be okay to simply replace the rotors.

For your reference, here is a link and video that explains how brakes and rotors are replaced. Note: You can also replace the pads at the same time if you decide to

https://youtu.be/7zjHSFVangI

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-and-rotors-fwd

_______________________________

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle for rotor replacement.

2017 Hyundai Sonata L4-2.4L
Front Disc Brake - Repair Procedures
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Service and Repair Procedures Front Disc Brake - Repair Procedures
FRONT DISC BRAKE - REPAIR PROCEDURES
Removal
Raise the vehicle, and make sure it is securely supported.
Remove the wheel cap(A).

Be careful not to damage to the wheel cap (A) when removing the it.
Remove the front wheel and tire (A) from front hub.
Tightening torque:
88.2 107.8 N.m (9.0 11.0 kgf.m, 65.0 79.5 lb-ft)

Be careful not to damage to the hub bolts when removing the front wheel and tire (A).
Loosen the guide rod bolt (B) and pivot the caliper (A) up out of the way.
Tightening torque:
21.6 31.4 N.m (2.2 3.2 kgf.m, 15.9 23.1 lb-ft)

Replace pad shim, pad retainers (C) and brake pads (B) in the caliper bracket (A).

Loosen the hose eyebolt (C) and caliper mounting bolts (B), then remove the front caliper assembly (A).
Tightening torque:
Brake hose to caliper(C):
24.5 29.4 N.m (2.5 3.0 kgf.m, 18.1 21.7 lb-ft)
Caliper assembly to knuckle(B):
78.5 98.1 N.m (8.0 10.0 kgf.m, 57.9 72.3 lb-ft)

Remove the front brake disc by loosening the screws (A).

Replacement
Tightening torque:

Replace pad shim (D), pad retainers (C) and brake pads (B) in the caliper bracket (A).

Use a SST (09581-2T100) when installing the brake caliper assembly.

Do not hit piston end by hammer or prying directly against piston face with screwdriver to push in piston.
Down the caliper body(A) then tighten the guide rod bolt(B).
Tightening torque:

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed. Joe
Saturday, February 20th, 2021 AT 9:06 PM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2009 HYUNDAI SONATA
I put a new brake fluid in my car makes noise from the front?
Monday, March 15th, 2021 AT 5:50 PM (Merged)
SEVAG PAESEGHIAN

can you send us a video how the brakes are making noise, it seems from the brake pads wear indicator, not related to brake fluid replacement, pads thickness lower than minimum value must be replaced.

check our link below how to replace pads and rotors

Check the diagrams below how to check pads and discs and replacement procedure.

hope these helps.

thank you.
DAVIDDORN
  • 2008 HYUNDAI SONATA
I hear a clicking noise like the pads are worn down. David
Monday, March 15th, 2021 AT 5:52 PM (Merged)
Hi,

Front brake pads and rotors really aren't too hard to do. If you do it yourself, make sure to purchase lifetime parts so you'll never have to pay for the parts again.

You can expect brake pads to last approximately 25,000 miles. However, that can change based on terrain and driving habits.

To start, here is a link that shows in general how it's done. You can use this as a guide:

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle. The pics below correlate with the directions.
_________________________________________________

2008 Hyundai Sonata L4-2.4L
Front
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Brake Pad Service and Repair Procedures Front
FRONT
FRONT DISC BRAKE

COMPONENTS

pic 1

COMPONENTS

pic 2

REMOVAL

CAUTION:
Frequent inhalation of brake pad dust, regardless of material composition, could be hazardous to your health.
Avoid breathing dust particles.
Never use an air hose or brush to clean brake assemblies.

1. Loosen the front wheel nuts slightly. Raise the front of the vehicle, and make sure it is securely supported. Remove the front wheels.

pic 3

2. Remove the guide rod bolt (B), After raise the caliper assembly (A), support it with a wire.

pic 4

3. Remove pad shim (A), pad retainer (B) and pad assembly (c) in the caliper bracket.

INSTALLATION

pic 5

1. Install the pad retainers (A) on the caliper bracket.

pic 6

2. Check the foreign material at the pad shims (A) and the back of the pads (B).
Contaminated brake discs or pads reduce stopping ability. Keep grease off the discs and pads.
3. Install the brake pads (B) and pad shims (A) correctly. Install the pad with the wear indicator (C) on the inside.
If you are reusing the pads, always reinstall the brake pads in their original positions to prevent a momentary loss of braking efficiency.
4. Push in the piston (A) so that the caliper will fit over the pads. Make sure that the piston boot is in position to prevent damaging it when pivoting the caliper down.

pic 7

5. Pivot the caliper down into position. Being careful not to damage the pin boot, install the guide rod bolt (B) and torque it to proper specification.

pic 8

NOTE: Insert the piston in the cylinder using the special tool (09581-11000).

6. Depress the brake pedal several times to make sure the brakes work, then test-drive.

NOTE: Engagement of the brake may require a greater pedal stroke immediately after the brake pads have been replaced as a set Several applications of the brake will restore the normal pedal stroke. Be sum to do this before driving the vehicle.

7. After installation, check for leaks at hose and line joints or connections, and retighten if necessary.

_________________________
Rotor Replacement

When the brake caliper is removed for pad replacement, you will need to also remove the brake caliper mount. There are two bolts on the rear of the steering knuckle which hold the mount in place. Remove the bolts, remove the mount, and then remove and replace the brake rotor.

_______________________

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Take care and God Bless,

EKLAZZ
  • 2007 HYUNDAI SONATA
How do I replace the rear rotors
Monday, March 15th, 2021 AT 5:53 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Remove wheel, remove guide rod bolt from caliper. Raise caliper assembly out of way. Remove brake pad shim, retainer and assembly in the caliper bracket. Now that caliper and pads are off the rotor will come off.
EDHILL
  • 2007 HYUNDAI SONATA
=How do you remove the rotors on a 2007 Sonata?
KEN

Here is a guide and a video that shows how to replace the brake pads and rotors on your car

https://youtu.be/7zjHSFVangI

and

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
EDHILL
Thanks! Worked like a charm :)
GGRIGG
  • 2006 HYUNDAI SONATA
How do I remove front rotors? Is there a special tool for the screws in the rotor or do I use a regular phillips screw driver?
ZACKMAN
Phillips screw driver of the appropriate size, too small or too big will damage the screw, and you will be screwed. Spray some PB Blaster on the thread, wait 5 minutes before pulling the screws out. Usually they are rusted in the rotors.
HREUBY
  • 2006 HYUNDAI SONATA
  • AWD
  • 108 MILES
There is a metal rubbing metal sound coming from the rear of my 2006 Hyundai Sonata. It happened with a cold start, and it was cold outside, but we were not pressing on the brakes. We backed up, changed gears and moved forward, and it sounded like metal rubbing metal. I thought it was the rear brakes, but it continued whether we stepped on the brake, took our foot of the brake, accelerated, or just coasted. It finally stopped on its own after we drove about 5 minutes. Do you know what that could be?
MHPAUTOS
It still may be the brakes, when they have warmed up a bit they can stop making any pad contact noise, do you know what type of pads are being used, are they cheap or quality?

RANDY1955
  • 2005 HYUNDAI SONATA
When I am going 55 or on up and apply the brake the passenger side front wheel vibrates and the wheel is balanced it is not that.
Monday, March 15th, 2021 AT 5:54 PM (Merged)
MASTERWRENCH
Generally, a vibration felt only while braking is the result of a warped brake rotor. While a brake rotor can be cut or machined by most auto repair stores, it just makes more sense to replace it. When you machine a rotor, you're removing metal which makes it more susceptible to warpage again in the future. Replacement rotors are relatively inexpensive and provide for a better, longer lasting repair. The article below provides discusses brake rotor and pad replacement and also includes an instructional video. I've also included attachments from the factory service manual. After the pads are removed, the brake rotor should slip right off the wheel studs. Also, brake pads and rotors should always be replaced in pairs(left and right side).

DMAC13
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SONATA
We're confused on how to remove rotors. We're starting on the front, but also would like to know about rear rotor removal as well. We've done rotor removal for turning on Honda's, but Hyundai appears to have a different way of mounting rotors on the hub.

Thank you
MERLIN2021
Hyudai only requires the caliper and torque plate(mounting Bracket) be removed, then pull rotor off, on the rears remove the screw on the hub face of the rotor and pull off. Very easy.
+2
GVIZUETE
  • 2002 HYUNDAI SONATA
How to remove front brake rotor
Monday, March 15th, 2021 AT 5:55 PM (Merged)
KLSHIEL
Lift vehicle off ground, make sure it is stable. Remove tire. Use large C-clamp to release pressure on rotor after loosening bleeder screw. Remove 2 slide pins on back side of caliper. Remove caliper and use a coat hanger or rope to suspend caliper with out straining brake lines. If nesissary remove caliper mounting bracket by removing 2 bolts on back side. Remove rotor, You may need to use a hammer to loosen old rotor.

Sponsored links