2001 Saturn SL2

PROBLEMCHILD15
  • 2001 SATURN SL2
2001 Saturn SL2 Automatic 110000 miles

My 2001 Saturn SL2 drives very smoothly and is without flaw except that every once in a while it will jerk. It is throwing codes: P0789, P0740, P0781, P0756, and P0741. We've taken it to a few mechanics, who don't seem to know what to do. A suggestion was the wiring harness. My dad cleaned out (with an electrical cleaner) our wiring harness, and he says he can't find a thing wrong with it looking at it. The Service Engine Soon light comes on as well. Please help me with any specific advice. Thank you!
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 9:55 AM

SATURNTECH9
First of all thank you so much for your donation. The code P0740 is a Tcc actuator circuit low voltage. The code P0741 is Tcc stuck off. The code P0756 is shift solenoid 2 circuit control circuit low voltage. The P0781 is shift solenoid 2 performance. The code P0789 is shift/timing solenoid control circuit intermittent. With all those code's it sound's like I would be checking the connector harness to the valve body what happens over time is vibration and engine torque break's the copper wire inside of the wire which you can't see. The best way to check it would be to buzz the actuator's one at a time while listening for the actuator to buzz that you have a code for. You could also wiggle the wire's and see if the actuator start's and stop's while moving the wire's. The only problem is that you need a really expensive scanner with the right special test software to do that. Also have you checked all the fuse's?
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 12:13 PM
PROBLEMCHILD15
Thank you for your help. Yes, my dad's checked all the fuses. I guess we'll try replacing the wiring harness and hopefully that will fix the problem.
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 2:54 PM
SATURNTECH9
If you want to try that route let me know what you come up with and find.
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 3:05 PM
PROBLEMCHILD15
If we do replace the wiring harness, and the same problem exists, what would you suggest?
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 3:25 PM
SATURNTECH9
If you clearing the code's how quick do they return or come back?
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 3:31 PM
PROBLEMCHILD15
Within 20 miles
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 3:38 PM
PROBLEMCHILD15
I really appreciate all of your help
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 3:50 PM
SATURNTECH9
Here's the problem it's a little while to come back so you can't just find the problem real easy. Do all the code's come back together or is there one that come's back before the rest?
Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 AT 1:21 PM
PROBLEMCHILD15
The codes come back together. We replaced the wiring harness last night, and today so far it has jerked once in drive, and 2 of the times I put it in reverse. It seems to jerk as it's shifting down or as I let off the gas. But when I put it in neutral as I slow down, it doesn't jerk. Anyway, my dad is getting the PCM codes cleared today, but we're both worried it won't fix the problem. Please continue to help us with this problem.
Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 8:24 AM
SATURNTECH9
So did you buy a new transmission pig tail that plug's into the valve body?Also when you changed it did you remove as much old wire as you could when you spliced in the new pig tail?Let me know what code's come back after there cleared if any.
Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 11:24 AM
PROBLEMCHILD15
My dad completely replaced the transmission pig tail and all the old wire was removed and replaced with new wire. All the same codes have come up. We're hoping to go on a 1200 mile road trip tomorrow night because I have to get back to my Naval base, so we're going to try one more diagnostic at a dealership tomorrow, but in the mean time we're still stumped.
Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 7:17 PM
SATURNTECH9
So did he just replace the connector to the valve body or the whole engine harness?I emailed you some trouble tree's a wire diagram connector view's etc. It's going to be a wire issue or a bad pcm but follow the trouble tree the best you can you can't do the buzzing the actuator but do the rest.
Thursday, October 21st, 2010 AT 2:58 PM