2002 Saturn SL1 stalling

MOKEYBOZO
  • 2002 SATURN SL1
My wife has a 02 saturn sl1 we just had the fuel system flushed and serviced (got it back today). My question is this: Just recently it has started to stall after being driven awhile (15-20 min.) It will start right back up but then sputters like its out of gas. Thought it was the fuel so had that system serviced. Still have same problem. The mechanic who did the work said that it could be the crankshaft positioning sensor. Could this be the problem or is it something else. (*Note it will act like this for about a day, then run good for about 2-3 days, then act up again) Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Saturday, March 6th, 2010 AT 5:54 AM

SATURNTECH9
First of all thank u so much for ur donation it really helps to keep this web site going and answering everyones questions. Have u ever had to hold ur gas pedal all the way to floor to start the car like it was flooded?Does it always start right back up?How long does it sputter for after u restart the car?Do u have any codes if u don't know could u please have it checked for codes. Let me know what u find.
-1
Saturday, March 6th, 2010 AT 12:05 PM
MOKEYBOZO
I had the car checked and there are no codes. Never had to floor it to start it. Yes it does start right back up and it will idle great for about 45 secs. Thenit stalls again. Today it happened and it took me 25mins to go 3 miles and then it just run fine and got me home.
One person told me it could be the crankshaft position sensor, but after some research here I'm hoping it could be the coolant temp sensor, and praying it's not the fuel pump.
-1
Saturday, March 6th, 2010 AT 6:32 PM
SATURNTECH9
I have seen alot of bad coolant temp sensors go bad and do all kinds of crazy stuff stalling out surging no starts over heating eratic idle all differnt kinds of stuff. There about 12 if u change it make sure u get a brass tipped one the plastic tip ones crack and leak into the connectors corroding it.I don't think it's the fuel pump I haven't seen many of the newer pumps go out. But I have seen te fuel filters cause the cars to run crazy. The filter has the fuel pressure regulator inside it. If u haven't changed the fuel filter I recomend it they should be changed every 100,000 by that time they get pretty clogged up. There expensive but at autozone I got mine for 30. The temp sensor is screwed into the head below where the upper hose is if u change it make sure the engine is cold and u will loose coolant. Also check and make sure that the connector going to it isn't corroded if it is then u have to clean or replace it. It could also be ur crank sensor but with it not dieing long enough to test anything makes it hard to figure out if it's that. Let me know what u find.
Saturday, March 6th, 2010 AT 8:33 PM
MOKEYBOZO
Thanks for all the help. I'll give the filter a shot and let you know.
Sunday, March 7th, 2010 AT 6:57 AM
MOKEYBOZO
Well I've changed the filter and, although what came out was as brown as mud, it wasn't the problem. Now I'm waiting for the car to cool down to change the coolant temp sensor. Let you know what happens. If this doesn't work I'll change the crankshaft position sensor. I'm trying to stay away from the fuel pump.
Sunday, March 7th, 2010 AT 11:41 AM
SATURNTECH9
Sounds like u needed a new fuel filter anyways and it was time for one. When u change the coolant temp sensor make sure u check the connector to make sure it's not corroded. Also checking the fuel pump would just be a matter of renting a fuel pressure gauge and seeing what the pressure is sounds like the problem is getting worse though from ur 25 mins to go 3 miles. What a trip that must have been well let me know what happens with coolant temp sensor.
Sunday, March 7th, 2010 AT 12:33 PM
MOKEYBOZO
Well I've changed the coolant temp sensor then had the coil packs checked and found one of those bad. Replaced it. Car ran fine for about 20 mins. Then "POW" RIGHT BACK AT IT. The only thing left, I think is the fuel pump. It's gotten to where after it stalls it will only stay running if I don't push the gas pedal. Once I do it stalls. If I don't, it will actually move at about 20 mph.
Got any ideas?
Sunday, March 7th, 2010 AT 6:19 PM
SATURNTECH9
If ur only going like 20mph after it gets hot then I would go to the exhaust shop when it's acting up and have them check ur back pressure u could have a plugged cat and the next thing I would do is get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure to elminate possible a bad pump. Let me know what u find.
-1
Sunday, March 7th, 2010 AT 7:20 PM
JASON LENZ
I have exactly the same problem, I changed all 3, Fuel filter, crankshaft pos sensor & temp sensor. It's nickle & dime'ing me to death any other ideas?
Thursday, November 2nd, 2017 AT 12:56 PM
KEN
Do you have any codes? its sounds like the computer might be going bad or a bad ignition switch.

Here is a guide and a location so you can check it out.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

If the wiring is good, grounds and power try a used unit to see if that works.

Please run this test and get back to us so we can keep helping you.

Cheers, Ken
-1
Friday, November 3rd, 2017 AT 3:47 PM