MY CAR IS ACTING LIKE IT WANTS TO DIE, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT COULD CAUSE THIS?

• santistevan
  • 2001 Saturn SL1

It acts like it wants to die when I pull up to a light and im idleing. It never dies though. It vibrates a lot too the past couple weeks. What can cause this?

Friday, February 24th, 2012 AT 2:03 AM

• saturntech9

So is the rpm needle bouncing around when you come up to a stop or does it just vibrate?Also do you have any codes in the computer?Those single cam 2000-2002 saturn engines are known for a intake gasket leaking around the number 1 intake port. It causes high idles and rough idles.

Friday, February 24th, 2012 AT 2:14 AM
  • santistevan

I haven't noticed the rpm needle, but It has a code for my egr valve but I already knew about that, this just started happening. It doesnt vibrate all the time it seems like it does it when I first start it and then once it warms up it's ok for a little bit, but then once I have been driving for about 20 or 30 minutes it will start doing it again. It is idleing rough and acting like it wants to die but doesn't. I will check the rpm thing when I go out later.

Friday, February 24th, 2012 AT 6:55 PM
  • saturntech9

Also your upper engine mount by the valve cover they colaspe and tear causing excessive vibration especailly when the engine is cold. See if its torn or colasped. What is the exact code number your getting for the egr?It will be P followed by a four digit number?

Friday, February 24th, 2012 AT 9:59 PM
  • salaungra

I've had the same thing happen to mine previously. With mine it was the spark plugs were ridiculously dirty. Warning for you though: If you have a California Emissions standard model, like mine, the SOHC journal head unit is notorious for developing cracks between the third and fourth cams. This will cause oil and coolant to mix and your engine will start either "chugging" (hard back and forth motions at idle or slow starts) or cause it to have a slow start shifting between gears. I'm currently on my second SOHC and this one's leaking now, too. Wondering if it might just be a better idea to replace the whole engine now, instead of going with another "new" cam journal head.

Friday, March 16th, 2012 AT 2:56 PM
  • saturntech9

I have worked for saturn for over 16yrs as a service tech and have never seen a cracked head that is mixing oil in the coolant to cause the engine to chug or transmission not shift correctly. Also all the heads crack california emissions or not I have replaced a ton of the federal emissions cars heads when I lived and worked for saturn in new york. Actually the heads crack more often in the colder climate.I have seen more of those heads crack more often while I was in new york then california. Are yiu getting reman heads?What year car do you have?When they mix the oil with the coolant they over heat thats all I have see them do.I havent seenor heard of customers complain of anything else but over heating.

Friday, March 16th, 2012 AT 4:05 PM
  • jionut

I noticed the same problem with my Saturn SL1 1999, when I stop to a light it acts like it wants to die but it never dies though. It vibrates a lot but there's no change in RPM (it's around 0.8).
I have new spark plugs and the car has only 35k miles !

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 AT 2:05 AM
  • saturntech9

Sounds like your upper motor mount is colasped by the valve cover.

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 AT 5:54 AM
  • jionut

So these should solve the problem?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaugUfILmGE

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 AT 1:46 PM
  • saturntech9

Thats the mount iam talking about is that the same style mount you have in your car?Or does yours look different?

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 AT 4:21 PM
  • jionut

It's the same style that I have. After I'll change it (it will take me a while to shop around for the part) I'll be back to write you if the problem is gone.

The spark plugs wires are important to change after a certain age/mileage? Because I thought that could be a good move to replace them too.

Monday, May 21st, 2012 AT 2:57 AM