2002 Saturn SL1 Rear Main Seal Leak

• 2002 SATURN SL1

2002 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 101, 00 miles

Was told I have a leak in my rear main seal. Said repaid would cost $900 and take 1-2 days. I saw online a product called Bar's Leaks Rear Main Seal Repair that claims it can seal the leak w/o having to take the engine apart to replace the seal.
1. Have you heard of this and does it work?
2. Do you know if mechanics are using this (i.E, if I called around, would I be likely to find one that would do this instead of making me do the full replacement)?
Thank you.

Saturday, February 13th, 2010 AT 1:17 PM

I haven't seen a whole lot of rear mains leaking on ur model cars mostly it's just the oil pan leaking they use silcone to seal them. Does it leak real bad?It might just be the oil pan that would just be a few hrs labor plus the silcone if that's all it was.U might want to have oil dye added to ur oil and it cleaned up to make sure it's the rear main. As far as a replace a rear main in a bottle I don't belive in that stuff most of that stuff is just crap. And most shops I would think wouldn't install it in case it didn't stop the leak or plugged up an oil passage way and caused engine damage. That's the best I can tell u on that stuff.

Saturday, February 13th, 2010 AT 5:00 PM