1994 Saturn SL1 A/C won't recharge

GOES2MALL
  • 1994 SATURN SL1
Hi,

My a/c went out during the winter sometime, and I bought a recharge kit (it's a retro-fitted R34) and tried to recharge the freon. I evacuated the system, what was left of it anyway, and with the car running and a/c on, tried to recharge but it wouldn't take it. The compressor wasn't running. Any ideas?
Friday, May 28th, 2010 AT 5:53 PM

SATURNTECH9
First of all thank you so much for your donation. Are you sure you have a 1994 saturn you said it's retrofited to R134a they all came factory with R134a. Are you trying to charge it on the hose closest to the exhaust manifold thats the low side thats where you should be charging it. If you have all the hose's hooked up correctly and the can is pierced right then it should charge. The compressor should be off if there isn't any charge in the system. The high low switch shuts off the compressor if there is too little or too much pressure in the system. Lets try this make sure the a/c fuse in your underhood fuse box is good. Then find your high low/ switch which is screwed on your a/c line over by your underhood fuse box. It has two wires going to it with the a/c on unplug the connector you may have to remove a saftey lock on it first. Then jump across the two terminals with a paper clip your a/c compressor should come on with your radiator cooling fan. Don't jump it long just long enough to see if those two items come on. Let me know what you find and the answers to my questions.
Friday, May 28th, 2010 AT 6:55 PM
GOES2MALL
Sorry, my boyfriend told me it was retrofitted, but it must not be. I think I got a bad can, because I used the second can and it let me use it and the compressor started up. However, now it is blowing warm air- not cold. The fuses are good. I re-checked pressure after 5 minutes and it was almost 45psi. Good, right? I'm not sure what the problem is now. Is this normal? Does it just take a while of running to get cold? We let it run for almost 15 minutes. No change. Still just warm.
Friday, May 28th, 2010 AT 7:53 PM
GOES2MALL
I think I may have inadvertently gotten air in the system. Oops. Its reading correct pressures but not blowing cold air. Can I vacuum the system myself somehow?
Friday, May 28th, 2010 AT 9:56 PM
SATURNTECH9
Does the radiator fan come with the A/C on?How many ozs of charge did you put in system so far?It takes 24ozs to fully charge it.45psi is too high for the low side it should be under 30psi. To vaccuum the system you would have to drain all the charge out of the system and get a a/c vaccuum pump for cars to pull a vaccuum on the system. Let me know how much charge you have in the system.
Friday, May 28th, 2010 AT 10:19 PM
GOES2MALL
The radiator fan does come on with the A/C. No problems there. In fact, we just replaced the entire cooling fan, radiator and hoses about 8 months ago. I put about half a can in at first, so. 6 oz roughly? I decided to go ahead and rent a vacuum pump and did that this morning. Ran it for about 45 minutes and then put two cans of R134 back in and now it runs cold! The charge is about 35psi with no change after 15, 45 or 90 minutes. Thank you so much! My bf doesn't understand how I could fix it and he couldn't! And even though this car is old and crappy, she was my first car and I keep her around for sentimental reasons (also, to commute to work). Wish I could donate more!
Saturday, May 29th, 2010 AT 11:20 AM
SATURNTECH9
Glad to hear you got your a/c going and showed up your boyfriend up lol. If you have anymore questions or problems let me know. Thanks again for your donation and thank you for using 2carpros.
Saturday, May 29th, 2010 AT 12:01 PM