STARTING PROBLEM

1997 Saturn SC2

teacher_105

June, 2, 2010 AT 12:34 PM

1997 Saturn SC2

Car would not start yesterday. Was able to jumper to starter to get it home, now won't start at all. There is power to the starter. Windows, door locks, trunk lock and mirrors dead. Changed body fuse, it blew again. Disconnected mirror relay and the car started. My husband has been trouble shooting, so this information is 2nd hand, but I'm fairly sure it's accurate. Have been unable to find an accurate wiring diagram to find the connection between the mirror and the starter.

saturntech9

June, 2, 2010 AT 1:32 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/416332_1997_sc2_ip_fuse_legend_part1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/416332_1997_sc2_ip_fuse_legend_part2_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/416332_1997_sc2_mirror_wire_diagram_1.jpg

There is no mirror relay so which relay did he pull?Maybe the window one?I posted the inside fuse box legend that lists the relays let me know which one it was.I also posted the mirror wire diagram.The reason all those things don't work when the body fuse blows is that fuse runs all those inside light's,and keyless entry.When you lose power to keyless entry it shuts off your starter relay that's why no start when the body fuse is blown.Let me know about which relay it is.

teacher_105

June, 2, 2010 AT 5:42 PM

It wasn't a relay. It was a fuse (might have been for the window; it was a 10amp fuse). When he pulled the fuse, the car started. Also, at one point the chimes stopped working. When he took it off the jacks, they started working again. This car does not have keyless entry

saturntech9

June, 2, 2010 AT 7:38 PM

If you have power door locks then you have keyless entry you just don't have the the remotes. If you remove or blow the chime fuse the the car won't start. Is there anyway I can talk directly to your husband so I can help him with the car?

teacher_105

June, 2, 2010 AT 8:22 PM

I'm going to scare you to death. I put a remote start switch in on the inside of the cab. What are your thoughts?
Only have power windows on the right side. I found a short there and isolated. Door locks work fine, deck lid, inside lights, map lights, all work fine. What does this have to do with the crank signal?

saturntech9

June, 3, 2010 AT 1:34 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/416332_1997_sc2_starter_wire_diagram_1.jpg

If your remote start was installed correctly it shouldn't be scarey.Your starter relay is controled by your keyless entry module as you can see in the diagram i posted.So are saying your power windows only work on the passenger side?Is your body fuse still blowing?So your engine still doesn't crank over?Do you have a multimeter?Let me know.

teacher_105

June, 3, 2010 AT 2:37 PM

The circuit going to the power mirror on the right door was shorting out, so I disconnected the cannon plug and the body fuse stopped blowing. Everything else is working fine. The car started this morning, and yes I have a multimeter.

I appreciate the schematics, but they are to small to read and when I try to enlarge them, they are too blurry to read.

saturntech9

June, 3, 2010 AT 3:05 PM

If you give me your email address I will email you the wire diagram. So what do you need help with still?Sounds like your making out pretty good so far.

teacher_105

June, 3, 2010 AT 3:58 PM

Laholb@aol. Com

I don't have enough diagram to show me how the short in the body circuit causes a problem with the start circuit.

I don't suppose you have an email address?

saturntech9

June, 3, 2010 AT 4:11 PM

I emailed you the starter wire diagram use it to follow along. Here's how it works if you blow the body fuse then you loose power to the remote key less entry module aka rke module. Then you won't get a ground to terminal A1 of your starter relay that disable's your starter. Now do you understand?

teacher_105

June, 3, 2010 AT 4:32 PM

Thank - I appreciate all your help.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test