HIGHER RPM WHEN BRAKING

1996 Saturn SC1

AngieEm03

November, 30, 2009 AT 10:06 AM

Brakes problem
1996 Saturn SC1 Automatic 98000 miles

For the last week the rpm on my car has gone up whenever I brake. If I'm coasting and the arrow is pointing to 1 rpm, as soon as I brake it will raise to at lease 2rpm, sometimes even 3.
The brakes still feel the same; it doesn't feel like it's fighting to accelerate, but the engine sounds like it's revving.

saturntech9

November, 30, 2009 AT 11:06 AM

What if ur at idle in park and step on the brake will it raise the idle up?Let me know.
Louie

AngieEm03

November, 30, 2009 AT 4:14 PM

Not really. It moves slightly but doesn't make the revving noise or move up significantly like when I'm driving then brake.
.I also noticed my car does the revving noise and goes to a higher rpm when I first start it up, before I touch the gas or brake or shift to drive. But it goes right back down in a second.

saturntech9

December, 1, 2009 AT 10:58 AM

Higher rpms when starting are normal its part of the starting process. It doesn't make sense that when u brake and the rpms go up but u can't feel the car pulling.I tried it on my 99 sl2 just touched the gas while braking to recreate ur condition and I could feeling it pulling and would make it harder for u to stop.I was thinking u might have a bad brake booster leaking vaccuum when u step on the brake causing a vaccuum leak I have seen that one before. Do u have any codes?
Louie

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars