SL2, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, TWIN CAM, 104,000

1996 Saturn

snicker2356

April, 16, 2007 AT 9:27 PM

Hello -- My problem comes and goes and I have not been able to get a mechanic to understand since they could not replicate the problem. Sometimes, when I am either approaching a stop or at a stop, it takes a hurculean effort for me to put the gearshift into first or even second. Other times it shifts just like butter. Sometimes I also get the clutch shudder and I chalk that up to " operator error".

I am at my wit's end. It seems like the engine is revving too high so the synchromesh isn't working properly. I don't know what to ask the mechanic to do -- and I hate to go to the dealer because the first thing they will want to do is drop down the transmission which will cost a fortune. If you tell me I need a new clutch, what would that normally cost? Thank you, Janie

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

peppermrj

April, 22, 2007 AT 6:43 PM

Hey Janie,

Where does the clutch engage? Towards the bottom or top of the pedal travel?

You could have any one of several issues. The shift cables could be wearing, The hydraulic clutch could be failing. The clutch is failing. Tough to diagnose when it is not a constant prob.

Have a couple shops check it out and get an estimate. Easy when you can still drive it. Try your local shop and a tranny shop too.

Good luck and let us know. : )
peppermrj

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement