• bjblack1982
  • 1999 Saturn Ion

1999 Saturn Ion

I recently purchased a used 1999 Saturn Ion and every now and then it overheats. The tempgauge is not showing hot but it will smoke and over flow in the coolant reserve. I had it in to a mechanic and he could not find anything wrong. We keep the reserve filled to the line. Any suggestions?

Monday, July 28th, 2008 AT 11:43 AM

• rasmataz

Try replacing the thermostat and bleeding the cooling system not it do the following below:

Have it block and pressure tested-do the block first to pinpoint a combustion leaking into the cooling system or a gas analyzer to sniff for hydrocarbons at the radiator fill neck.

Pressure test: do not do a pressure test if there's leakage at the headgasket this might cause coolant into the cylinders and lock it up or bend a connecting rod if cranked thereafter. The headgasket should be repaired before doing the pressure test.

If the block and pressure test passes check the following: Thermostat, Pressure test the Rad. Cap, Clogged radiator, Fan clutch, Radiator electrical fan, collaspe hoses, water pump

Monday, July 28th, 2008 AT 11:59 AM