ENGINE AND LOSS OF POWER LIGHT CAME ON.

2005 Saturn Ion

jtanderson0444@yahoo.com

December, 11, 2011 AT 11:55 PM

No problems then all of a sudden engine and loss of power light came on. Car sputtered and wouldn't accelerate.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 12, 2011 AT 12:12 AM

Have you checked for trouble codes?

jtanderson0444@yahoo.com

December, 12, 2011 AT 2:11 AM

What is a trouble code and how do I do that?

Jacobandnickolas

December, 12, 2011 AT 2:49 AM

Your vehicle is equipped with a computer. The computer monitors nearly everything. If there is a problem, it records the problem and stores it. Using an OBD2 scanner, a person retrieves trouble codes from the computer. There are many different codes. Each one identifies a different problem. Once the code is obtained, a shop or anyone can look up the code and identify where the problem is coming from.

I am not sure where you are located, but most nationally recognized parts stores will scan it for free and tell you what they find.

If you get the code, let me know and I can tell you what it means.

saturntech9

December, 12, 2011 AT 4:46 AM

Just to add to this one if the reduced power light is coming on then your having a failure in your electronic throttle system. Get the computer scanned for codes and post the exact code numbers not the code descriptions.

jtanderson0444@yahoo.com

December, 12, 2011 AT 1:07 PM

Is electronic throttle control problem typically an expensive fix?

jtanderson0444@yahoo.com

December, 12, 2011 AT 4:12 PM

When I started the car this morning it ran fine. Could the problem have corrected itself? Owners manual said that was possible.

saturntech9

December, 12, 2011 AT 4:37 PM

It all depends on what the actually problem is on how much it will cost to fix. If the computer doesnt detect the problem next key cycle the system resets itself. It will only go into reduced power mode when the computer detects a problem in the throttle system. Usually the problem doesnt fix itself get the codes read and post them.

rollentideman

April, 23, 2012 AT 3:11 AM

Saturn had a federal recall on catalytic converters on ions that were effected by this but only on consumer complaints its pass the 5 year period for freem replaced but thats what it sounds like. I use to work at a Saturn dealorship.

saturntech9

April, 23, 2012 AT 3:38 AM

A plugged cat doesnt turn on the reduced power light that turns on because of a issue with the throttle by wire system. They said the power light came on meaning the reduced power light. Plugged cats will not turn that light on but thanks for the info on the cats.

rollentideman

April, 23, 2012 AT 10:58 PM

Saturntech9 your correct I miss read it and jumped the gun thanks for replying and correcting that.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang