Replacing high mounted brake light

DOMINIC16
  • 2008 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
  • 80 MILES
My high mounted third brake light stops working. It works on and off.I think there's a loose connection. I can not figure out how to get to it to check it.I need to find a way to get to it to either replace the light or to make sure it's not a connection problem.I have tried several ways to remove it without any luck.
Wednesday, May 29th, 2013 AT 7:55 AM

The bulbs are led and the whole CHMSL must be replaced as a unit. You have to open liftgate take off panel then spoiler here are pics.

CLICK TO ENLARGE!
+3
Wednesday, May 29th, 2013 AT 8:42 AM
DOCFIXIT
Need to remove liftgate panel see diagrams
-1
Wednesday, May 29th, 2013 AT 8:45 AM
KEN
Here are the wiring diagrams and a guide to help you see what the problem is. The power to the third brake light comes from the TIPM and there are many fuses that run it. First see if the brake light is getting power at the light.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

then check the fuses,

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Here is the fuse location and the diagrams (below)

If all of the fuses are good then its most likely the TIPM is going out which they had problems with. A shop will need to program the unit unit in.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
+2
Tuesday, September 19th, 2017 AT 2:32 PM
LUIS.10
  • 2005 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
  • 102 MILES
The third center brake light is not working I changed the light bulb, but still does not work. I also think the fact it does not work is that my check engine light has come on. I don not know if it is the connecting or what.
Tuesday, September 19th, 2017 AT 2:33 PM (Merged)
I doubt the light has anything to do with the check engine light. Have a professional scan for codes because this may be a tpim module problem. The brake light switch sends power to the tpim then to the light. Only a local professional can scan for this. Also check engine problems will also come up.
LUIS.10
I did check it out, but the only code the found was Brake Switch problem, but the funny part is that I changed it twice and when I went back the second time they told me that it may be the car's computer which I may need to change. Plus as I said I changed the bulb in the third brake light and it does not turn on. So I do not know what the problem may be.
That is what a tpim module is, the car's computer and it runs the third brake light that is why it does not work.
LUIS.10
So with the tpim module down, how could we make it work?
You can see by the picture it may already be wired direct, so see if power is going to the light then backtrack wire to see if it is broken. If no power, if power is there then check the ground wire which is in lift-gate.
LUIS.10
Thank you HMAC300 I will check it out to see when I open the box if thats the problem. You been a great help. I hope I can find the problem.
LUIS.10
Am I suppose to check the module or am I suppose to check out the wires somewhere else
+1
Check tosee if wires leaving brake switch are sending power then check upper light and see if they are getting power
+1