Remove and replace fuel pump

RAT3170
  • 1997 ACURA TL
I need step by step instructions for removing the fuel tank on my car.
Saturday, January 21st, 2017 AT 2:16 AM

STEVE W.
Relieve the fuel pressure.
Jack up the vehicle, and support it with jack-stands.
Remove the tank drain bolt, and drain the fuel.
Remove the fuel tank cover. And the fill pipe protector
Disconnect the hoses from the fill pipe, pump, Slide back the clamps, then twist hoses as you pull, to avoid damaging them.
Place a jack, or other support, under the tank.
Remove the tank strap nuts, and let the straps fall free.
Gently lower tank.
Disconnect the power connectors and any fuel/vent lines from the tank/pump/sender unit.
Remove the fuel tank.

If you are in a state that uses salt or the car came from a state that does be prepared to have pinholes rusted in the tank and needing to replace it because of that.

Install the drain bolt with a new washer, then coat the drain bolt with Noxrust
Reverse the order of removal to put the tank back in.
Saturday, January 21st, 2017 AT 4:11 AM
RAT3170
Thanks for your response. I have removed all the things (mentioned previously)that should allow the tank to tilt. Although it acts as if there is something preventing it from tilting to access the vent tube and other items which need to be disconnected before letting the tank down. I have removed the back seat and I do not see anything that seems to be attached to the tank. I read in a previous post that prying the tank may be necessary. I have tried prying and it does not seem to be releasing the tank. It seems as if there is something preventing it from releasing freely.
Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 AT 10:28 AM
STEVE W.
They tended to coat them with a LOT of undercoating. Acts like glue and bonds the tank in place. If you have the fill tube and those parts off the undercoat is probably the problem.
Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 AT 2:29 PM