Rear HVAC door actuator

HEIDI ANNMARIE BIRCH WOODYARD
  • 2006 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
  • AWD
I received my new actuator and it is identical to the one I removed for my vehicle that is the EXT model. The problem I am having is the tab/shaft that is connected to the vent door does not line up with the position on the new actuator. Even when I manually turn the shaft it does not come close to the position I need it to be in to slide the actuator on.
Sunday, June 11th, 2017 AT 12:48 PM

HEIDI ANNMARIE BIRCH WOODYARD
I did some experimenting with my old actuator and removed the cover. I was then able to lift up the gear and turn it to the position I would need it in. Pushed the gear back into place and replaced the cover. So my question is can I do this with my new actuator with out causing any damage? My only concern is on one side of the gear are some metal contacts and Im not sure exactly how the actuator works, I know it opens/closes the vent/temp door but don't know where these metal contacts come in to play.
Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 1:27 AM
When an actuator is replaced you need to pull the fuse for that circuit in order for the actuator to reset. Not pull covers off to reset by hand. You can try what you are doing but not sure it will work.
-1
Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 5:22 AM
HEIDI ANNMARIE BIRCH WOODYARD
I understand that. Maybe I was not clear in describing the problem or asking my question. I know it has to be re-calibrated after I get the part on. The problem is, the shaft has a tab and can only fit in the actuator if the tab lines up with the recessed part on the actuator. I can turn the shaft a little but its not enough to fit. I just want to get my car back together, not wait longer to return and reorder the same part, if I can get this one on. This was a brand new part so who is to say the next one is going to be in the position it needs to be in? Then I am waiting even longer.
Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 8:18 AM
The shaft may be stuck so try moving in other direction see if that helps at all then see if it will move to where you need it.
Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 10:26 AM
KEN

Is the actuator and OEM replacement? I have seen where aftermarket units have the wrong gear position.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 12:18 PM
HEIDI ANNMARIE BIRCH WOODYARD
Yes, it is a replacement. And I did move the shaft back and forth, it moves freely and fully opens and closes the vent door but it is not enough to line up with gear on the new actuator. Since this part fits so many different vehicles I would think the gear could be moved if need be since it can only go on one way. Think I'm going to take a chance, open it up and move the gear. I haven't found any solutions except for returning it and ordering another.
Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 6:04 PM
Ok may as well
Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 6:14 PM
KEN
Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 6:46 PM
HEIDI ANNMARIE BIRCH WOODYARD
Update- It worked! I opened the case, pulled out the gear then placed the "empty" half of case over the shaft, lining it up with the 3 screw holes. Next I put the gear on the shaft and finally I put the other half of the case w/motor and remaining gears in place making sure the post inside that held the gears in place lined up with the "empty" half and pushed it together making sure all the outside tabs locked back into place. Put the 3 screws in, hooked up the connector and recalibrated the system. To my surprise everything now works as it should. I've let it run with both heat/ac (obviously not at the same time!) With different fan speeds and positions without any problems!
Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 8:03 PM
KEN
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, June 13th, 2017 AT 10:28 AM