Strange high pitched noise at lower speeds coming from the rear drivers side

KFLY
  • 2015 FORD F-150
  • TURBO

I had the rear bearings replaced on my truck a month ago. Somehow the seal went bad and there were metal shavings in the differential.

About a week ago, I noticed a strange high pitched noise at lower speeds coming from the rear drivers side. It does make a clunky noise when the brake is released and engaged. The noise appears to go away at higher speeds.

What could the issue be? We live in our camper and use the truck to tow. We would not be able to take it back to our home shop for a couple of months and it’s difficult to find decent shops on the road.

Thank you!

Kevin
Friday, February 7th, 2020 AT 6:54 PM

Kevin, what seal was replaced? Was it an axle seal? Do you notice any change in the pitch of the noise when making turns? I'm concerned about the metal shavings. If one of the axles was damaged by a bearing, the axle itself may be bad. If you can, safely lift that wheel off the ground. Check if there is excessive in and out play in the wheel itself as well as if there anything you see that could be loose.

Let me know what you find.

Friday, February 7th, 2020 AT 7:02 PM
PORTAFISHING
Sounds like it might be a brake issue possible loose break pad or something out of place.
Friday, February 7th, 2020 AT 7:09 PM
PORTAFISHING
https://youtu.be/VsMD6QR_KrY
Rear brake removal.
Friday, February 7th, 2020 AT 7:18 PM
KFLY
Thank you all for the quick response. I will try to get it up on stands tomorrow.

Joe - all the rear bearings and seals were replaced in the axle. They said that it should not be an issue. It is a different noise than the sound I had before. That sounded like a bearing issue. This sounds more like metal on metal or something high pitch in a cyclical pattern.
It also does not seem to make a difference when turning. It does seem to go away after going about 30 mph but I might be able to hear it.
Friday, February 7th, 2020 AT 7:51 PM
You are very welcome. Does the sound change when you apply the brakes?

Friday, February 7th, 2020 AT 7:59 PM
KFLY
There is a slight clunky noise when the brake is applied when going slower. There is a slight squeal when going faster and coming to a stop but I think the latter is the type of brakes.
Friday, February 7th, 2020 AT 8:06 PM
I wonder if there is a problem with the brakes themselves or you have a loose caliper. Check to make sure everything is tight including the caliper mount and slide pins. Also, make sure the backing plate isn't touching the rotor.

Let me know what you find. Make sure the parking brake is fully releasing as well.

Friday, February 7th, 2020 AT 8:17 PM

Sponsored links