Problem starting

BREDAVI
  • 1998 JEEP CHEROKEE
I replaced my starter and battery. Made sure the connections are secure. Sometimes the jeep wants to start up on the first try then sometimes it takes multiple tries to get it to start. Sometimes it grinds when it is trying to start but that only happens very rarely. This guy at an auto parts store said it could possibly be the crankshaft sensor. I am not really sure because I have not had to deal with car problems before.
Friday, May 26th, 2017 AT 6:58 AM

KEN

It sounds like the fuel pump could be going out, to find out for sure please follow this guide.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

When the engine is not starting find out if its fuel or spark that is failing.

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken

+1
Monday, May 29th, 2017 AT 12:56 PM
BREDAVI
It is the fuel pump! Thank you so much, when replacing the fuel pump is there anything else I should replace as well since the gas tank will be down?
Friday, June 2nd, 2017 AT 8:13 AM
KEN
Good to hear, just make sure the fuel is not contaminated with water, use a flashlight to see inside the tank and clean as needed.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, June 2nd, 2017 AT 9:00 AM
BREDAVI
Ok ended up replacing the fuel pump/filter. Went a couple weeks of firing up perfectly. My tire blew out one day so I Parked in a lot overnight. Went back changed the tire and it had troubles starting. Get it to my house, then the next day I go to start it and it takes like 10 minutes. No grinding or anything just not actually firing up. Eventually starts up then I get less than a mile and it just completely died. No signs or sounds or anything, just went dead. Then won't start up now. Could it be my crankshaft position sensor? Or what else could it possibly be. Please and thank you!
Tuesday, July 4th, 2017 AT 12:07 PM
KEN
It sounds like the fuel pump you installed could have gone bad, Lets run a test to confirm

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

Please run this test and get back to us we are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Wednesday, July 5th, 2017 AT 4:53 PM