Need to replace heater core

ESERNA05
  • 2006 PONTIAC TORRENT

Six cylinder all wheel drive automatic 50,000 miles.

I went to a mechanic and he stated that my vehicle needed to have the heater core replaced. Where can I find a detailed diagram showing where the heater core is located? Is this a common problem with this car?

The heater has not been working. Now that it is starting to get cold. I took it in to see what was wrong with it and the mechanic said the heater core needs to be replaced. It only blows out cold air. My dad changed the thermostat but it did not fix anything. My dad has replaced heater cores before but on my vehicle he cannot find it.

Friday, November 5th, 2010 AT 1:52 PM

DOCFIXIT

Big job! Instrument panel must be removed AC discharged, SIR deactivated etc, unless you have done this before do not attempt. Is there coolant leaking on passenger side? Windshield fogging up? Why did you take in?

+7
Friday, November 5th, 2010 AT 1:58 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey Eserna05

This is a big job, but it you take your time you will save a bunch of money doing it yourself. You will need to discharge the air conditioner first.

Here is a guide:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/re-charge-an-air-conditioner-system

then you will need to remove the heater core plenum.

Here is a guide for that:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-heater-core

I have included some images of the job for you as well.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

+1
Friday, December 2nd, 2016 AT 9:44 AM
HARRA1519

I have the exact problem with my Pontiac Torrent. I have done heater cores before but never on a Pontiac. Any tips before I attempt this besides the ones already provided? The guide seems very helpful.

Wednesday, December 28th, 2016 AT 6:55 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey HARRA1519,

Just go slow and have a small container for the screws and bolts. Do not force anything so you do not break it, everything is plastic! Please post pictures of the job being done. It would be great to see the job in action!

Best, Ken

Wednesday, December 28th, 2016 AT 9:48 AM