I have to pump gas to start

NEWFIE1980
  • PONTIAC SUNFIRE
I own a 1999 pontiac sunfire two door with a 2.2 liter engine it has 190,000km on it and when I go to start my car I have to pump the gas for it to run. But when I go to the gas station and put gas in I do not have to pump the gas it will start right up. I havnt had any repairs done to the fuel pump or anything like that I wanted to know what was wrong before I started fixing things. If anybody could help me out in this matter it would be qreatly appreciated. Thanks
Monday, May 14th, 2007 AT 7:16 PM

SERVICE WRITER
I want to see if we can narrow this down. My hypothisis is that the fuel is draining back into the tank after setting. Essentially pumping the accelerator on a fuel injected engine should only give the ankle a workout. I "think" if your were to continue cranking it would start regardless. Maybe I'm wrong, but let's try this:
When go to start the car in the morning, cycle the key. That is turn the key to the run position without cranking for 3 seconds, turn it back to the off position for a few seconds. Do this 3-4 times. Then crank it, does it start?
Monday, May 14th, 2007 AT 9:39 PM
NEWFIE1980
I tried what you suggested and the car started right up on the first crank. But after I it off and got out of the car I smelled alot of gas.
Wednesday, May 16th, 2007 AT 1:44 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Were you smelling raw fuel at any other point?

If not I would be highly suspicious of a bad fuel pump.
Wednesday, May 16th, 2007 AT 3:19 PM
NEWFIE1980
It was coming from the rear end of the car so I would think it was the fuel pump then
Wednesday, May 16th, 2007 AT 3:41 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Well what I meant was that there may be a fuel leak happening. When it sets, the fuel may be draining out of the line. If not, then back into the tank, but then I wouldn't expect and smell.

I would get it on a lift, cycle the key and look for a potential problem. Also I would check the fuel pressure, when the problem is expected to happen and see what it is and see how long it takes to lose pressure.

So I wouldn't say that there may be a problem other thant the pump, but odds are stacked in fovor of it.
Wednesday, May 16th, 2007 AT 5:01 PM