2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Odd Steering Wheel Noise When turni

Steering problem
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 44000 miles

When turning the steering wheel left or right a it makes a noise like a light scraping noise. Similar to scraping a piece of paper on a desk or corduroy rubbing together. The dealer first said they need to take off the steering wheel and lubricate a rubber boot inside the steering wheel. They did that and it didn't work. Then after further inspection they said the noise was coming from where the steering shaft goes into the steering gear case and they would have to replace the steering gear case at a cost of $900. They said the condition isn't dangerious. They are going to give me a $60 credit for the repair that didn't work. Now I'm not sure they know what they are doing and I wan't to make sure this isn't dangerous. Of course I'd like to get rid of the noise, it is very irritating.
Thank you for any help.

I should add that when the car is cold there is no noise. It is August in Michigan so I don't mean that the car is below freezing - it is just that the car has not been running. After just a couple of minutes of run time though the noise starts and never goes away. Also the dealer checked the wheel bearings and ball jounts and they are fine - so they say.

Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 11:20 AM

Raise car, put on stands. Grasp tire and push/pull both horizontally and vertically, if any movement then possible wheel bearing, ball joint, tie rod, control arm bushing.

Check CV boots for any signs of leakage or cuts/rips in rubber boot.

This will also tell you if steering rack is bad, it would be unusual for a rack and pinion to go bad on a car this new, but possible.

Sunday, August 30th, 2009 AT 7:24 AM