1997 Pontiac Grand Prix RPMs dropping while driving

KENHILL8101
  • 1997 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
Hey I have a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix and when I'm driving it the rpms goes to zero and when I cut the car off and try to restart it, it won't start I have to wait about 5 to 10 minutes for it to start back up. But I have replaced the coils, spark plugs and wires and also the ignition module and the crank shaft sensor. I dont wont to get rid of the car because I would like to fix it up but if I can't get the engine right why waste the money
Wednesday, March 19th, 2008 AT 7:57 PM

SPADE007
Did you check fuel pump and fuel pressure? How does the car run on the road does it chug or over heat?
Friday, March 21st, 2008 AT 12:02 AM
KENHILL8101
No I haven't had the fuel pump checked or the fuel pressure. Would I have to take the fuel pump off to check it or is there another way to find out. I was driving home today and it wanted to cut off but I kept pumping the gas and it finally kicked in but once I had gotten near home it died so I called a fiend of mine and they told me to spray starter fluid into where the filter is leading towards the engine about three sprays and it started right up. I am really appreciating your help I just want to get my car back running back to top condition. Please write back
Friday, March 21st, 2008 AT 4:41 PM
SPADE007
There is a shrader valve on top of the engine on the left or right side. It looks like a bicycle tire valve with black cap on it. Un screw the cap and attach a fuel pump gauge to it. Turn your igniton switch on but dont start it and check the pressure. It should read 41psi to 47psi. Then start your car your gauge should go down 3 to 10psi more if not your fuel pressure regulator is bad
Saturday, March 22nd, 2008 AT 1:16 AM