FUEL PUMP RELAY CHATTERING WON'T STAR

1995 Pontiac Grand Am

timbo1961

April, 23, 2008 AT 6:19 AM

1995 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 78000 miles

I was driving my car and it just quit running, I sprayed starting fluid in breather it started so I figured it to be a fuel issue, so I changed fuel filter, was no change still no start, so I had it towed to my house, once home I tried to start it again but this time I heard a chattering or clicking noise from under hood I traced it to a relay, well I figured possibly the pump was bad, so I replaced the fuel pump, tried to start again same problem, no start and relay clicking constantly when key on, I can hear the fuel pump run run for a few seconds then the relay goes crazy, the clicking sound comes threw speakers when radio on and light by gear selector indicator blinking also, I read where I can jump or bypass the relay and make it run constantly so I did this and there was no change, when I did unplug the relay I heard a spraying like noise coming from the engine like air being sprayed up on top of motor where injector are located, when the key is on, but as soon as I plug relay back in the clicking noise comes back, thank you

April, 23, 2008 AT 6:35 AM

The computer energizes the fuel pump relay have you checked the wires between the two for short

Check the dark green/white if its shorted to the pink wire.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fp_3.jpg

Replace Your Fuel Pump Relay - Easy Steps
Replace Fuel Pump Relay
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right