1995 Pontiac Grand Am fuel injection electrical problem

N6436P
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I just pulled my engine out to re-gasket the whole thing and when I put it back in it will not start. I have spark and fuel but I did how ever find that the fuel injectors are not releasing the fuel. The fuel pump is will run and the fuel rail will pressurize.
Thursday, December 24th, 2009 AT 2:18 PM

Welcome to the forum, with the key on, do you have voltage at the injector? The computer pulses the injector ground circuit, if it sees an rpm signal.
Thursday, December 24th, 2009 AT 2:43 PM
N6436P
If there is no power at the injectors what would be the next thing to check?

Thanks tons
Thursday, December 24th, 2009 AT 3:35 PM
The pink wire at injector/s is voltage, goes hot with the key on. That is a fused circuit, I believe the fuel pump circuit gets votage from the same fuse. So if the fuel pump works, It sounds like the computer isn't grounding the injector circuit for some reaon. My first thought is no rpm signal. Possible crank sensor issue or wiring circuit, can't be sure.
Friday, December 25th, 2009 AT 11:01 AM
N6436P
Ok I am wondering that pink wire from the injectors. I am looking at the chiltons schematic and it also shows a pink wire from the instrument cluster, could that be the same wire? The reason I ask is becouse at the same time this happend my dash lights in the cluster started acting up. Also do you know were that curcuit that you mentioned is located?

Thanks for all your help and Merry Christmas!
Friday, December 25th, 2009 AT 6:54 PM
Do you know what a fuel injector looks like? It's connected to the fuel rail, three cylinders for each bank and three injectors for eack bank, six injectors, overall. With engine cranking, can hear or feel the injector click? You might be able to use a screwdriver with a long shank, place the tip on the injector, place the other end of the shank against your head, close to your ear, see if you can feel or hear the injector click.

The injector has an electrical connector, to check for voltage, you can unplug the connector, turn the key on, no need to crank, use a testlite on the terminal for the pink wire. If the lite comes on, there is voltage at the pink wire.

I don't believe your injectors and dash lites are on the same fuse circuit. Depending on what dash lites your talking about, they may both use ignition feed to the fuse circuits, different fuse circuit.
Saturday, December 26th, 2009 AT 10:16 AM
N6436P
With the key turned on the pink wire gets 12 volts and when I turn the engine over it remains 12 volts.

Sunday, December 27th, 2009 AT 11:40 AM
Use a noid lite on the injector plug, see if it pulses, engine cranking? Sounds like the pcm isn't grounding the injector/s for some reason. If your fully obd1 compliant, check for trouble codes.
Sunday, December 27th, 2009 AT 12:57 PM