Car will not start and will not crank

PAIGE OWENS
  • 2004 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Just found out the PCV valve is broken, but not sure if they will keep it from starting. The battery is good (new), has gas, no codes, air filter is decent. The car will not crank/turn over. I know I need to check the starter circuit system but have not yet. Any other suggestions?
Thursday, February 16th, 2017 AT 3:38 AM

A simple place to start is by trying to crank the engine with the transmission in neutral. If that works, suspect the neutral safety switch. The next thing is to feel the starter relay to see if it is clicking when a helper turns the ignition switch to "crank".
Thursday, February 16th, 2017 AT 5:05 PM
PAIGE OWENS
The relay does click. That was one of the first things I checked. The vehicle has had a starting issue and because the starter had not been making any grinding noises. Was just looking for tips in case the starter circuit and starter are fine.
Thursday, February 16th, 2017 AT 6:15 PM
KEN
Hi PAIGE,

It sounds like the starter could be bad, but we should check the battery condition as well. Do this test to check the battery.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

if that passes then the next step is to check the starter, please follow this guide.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

Please let me know if the security light is flashing while you are trying to start it and if so

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

and finally a guide that goes over everything in the system.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-engine-will-not-crank-over

If you need a wiring diagram for the electrical circuit please let me know. I will be glad to provided one.

Best, Ken

Thursday, February 16th, 2017 AT 6:25 PM
PAIGE OWENS
  • 2004 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I am unsure of the name of the part that is circled. The wire/tube is broken and has a tear. I need to replace it, but I am not sure what it is. It looks like a spark plug wire but it is not. I have circled it in the image below.
Thursday, February 16th, 2017 AT 6:36 PM (Merged)
PAIGE OWENS
Could this being broken keep the car from starting? The battery is good (new), has gas, no codes, air filter is decent. The car will not crank/turn over. I know I need to check the starter circuit system but have not yet. Any other suggestions?
Looks like the PCV hose/ elbow

It snaps onto the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation)

The PCV itself is held in place by that rubber grommet in the valve cover.

Probably can be found in a local parts store (maybe in the "Help" section)

The Medic
On many cars there are multiple relays clicking at various times. If you're sure the starter relay is clicking, that does indeed point to the starter, but there is also a fuse in that circuit. If the starter had been working, then not working intermittently, that rules out the fuse as they will never be intermittent.

Find the smaller wire on the starter and check for 12 volts there while your helper tries to crank the engine. If the 12 volts shows up there but the starter doesn't spin, or it spins after you tap it with a small hammer or wrench, the solenoid is sticking. The housing can warp and cause that. The best solution is to replace the starter motor. You can replace just the solenoid instead, but they can be harder to find. You still have to remove the starter to replace the solenoid on it.
Thursday, February 16th, 2017 AT 7:19 PM