1995 Pontiac Grand Am 95 Grand Am quad 4, after it warms up

HALFHICK
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I can drive the car till it reaches operating temperature, then it will just die. Won't start but turns over. The fuel pump sounds like it is working. I changed the coil housing, ngk plugs, boots look good, coils measure 6K ohms, after the car cools back down it starts fine. Ideas?
Sunday, January 3rd, 2010 AT 6:21 PM

PEAR69
Is there spark when the engine is up to temperature? If not, test the Ignition Control Module when the engine is up to temp. Also, it could be the coolant sensor. It is easier to just replace this sensor than to test it.
Sunday, January 3rd, 2010 AT 11:40 PM
KGMITTER
It definitely sounds like a sensor problem!
I have the same car, IF the car can drive a little I would recommend going to autozone.

To make sure you can ask them to check out your car for free, they will hook an electronic that will pinpoint exactly what is wrong.
Monday, January 4th, 2010 AT 10:38 PM
PEAR69
Autozones' computer scanners will tell you what trouble code is stored - it will not pin point the problem, but it will point you down the right path. BUT - there is no mention of the check engine light being 'on' - so that means that there is no trouble code stored in the computer. If the check engine light is 'on' then have the computer scanned and post back with the trouble code.
Monday, January 4th, 2010 AT 11:55 PM
HALFHICK
That is correct, the check engine light has never came on when it's shut down on me. The last time it acted up I disconnected the battery cable to see if that would reset a bad sensor or module, no luck. I do have an Autozone close by, would be interesting to see if their scanner could detect the problem being there are no codes being tripped. I think I will replace the coolant sensor and coolant sending unit and see what that does. I will let you guys know what I find out!
Tuesday, January 5th, 2010 AT 11:48 PM
PEAR69
If the light is not on, then autozones' scanner cannot help you. When the engine stalls again, remove the ignition control module and have it tested at autozone - it will be hot so be carefull. Changing the coolant sensors is also a good idea.
Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 12:06 AM
HALFHICK
So I changed out the coolent sensor and the sending unit sensor but it is still acting up. It did run longer but eventially shut itself off. Next stop ignition module.
Sunday, February 7th, 2010 AT 12:32 PM
HALFHICK
It ended up being the crank sensor. That was fun to replace, they usually break off in the block. Four hours later I invented a tool to get it out of there!
Sunday, February 14th, 2010 AT 10:56 PM