1998 PONTIAC FIREBIRD FUEL PUMP SOMETIMES DOESNT WORK

• firebirdguy2008
  • 1998 Pontiac Firebird

1998 Pontiac Firebird 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 210000 miles

hi my fuel pump on my 98 firebird v6 auto is giving me a lot of problems recently. Been running fine since I bought it a few months ago. One day I drove it to work and it did fine but after work got in and tried to start it and it wouldnt start. I could tell my fuel pump wasnt kicking on because I couldnt hear it. I tried forever turning the key off and back on to maybe trigger a response. I was about to get it towed when I thought I would try again and it started drove it fine for a week or two but it did it again. Is my pump goin bad? I replaced the relays fuses etc. Maybe electrical problem I turn the key on and hear a click coming from rear of car but the pump isnt priming any suggestions? Im praying it isnt the pump itself so hard to change lol. Thanks to anyone that can give me advise.

Friday, April 25th, 2008 AT 9:36 AM

• 2CarPros Ken
  • Admin

Hello, yes it does sounds like your fuel pump is going bad. Please replace it and get back to me

Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 4:38 PM
  • blackop555

Sounds like your pump may be going, you say youve already checked the fuel pump relay and the pump fuse?

The pump should buzz when it primes, should buzz for 2-3 seconds then it should stop and usually it clicks, the pump may be going.

Check the wiring underneith. Make sure the insulation is still on it, if all is good make sure the connector on the pump is secure and that when the pump doesnt prime check to see if its getting voltage, if it is its a bad pump.

Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 4:38 PM
  • firebirdguy2008

Hey could you guys please tell me what part number the 98 firebird fuel pump is I think they only used one type for the 98's I might be wrong but when I search for one online whether its ac delco or delphi they all look different just need a good suggestion on which one to go with already got my car torn apart more work then was expecting exhaust didnt want to come off and someone welded the brackets that hold it up on the car so yea. But got it all out and tank out. Should have siphoned all the gas out but did it half full lol. Please get back to me about what part to go with thanks alot guys.

Monday, May 5th, 2008 AT 10:22 AM
  • firebirdguy2008

What is the liitle box where wires and hoses are coming out just inside my car where I put gas into it? I took off the shield and could see a box what is this?

Monday, May 5th, 2008 AT 10:34 AM
  • blackop555

For the part number I cant tell you that, each pump maker has a differnt part number.

Buy a part from the dealership, they will cost a bit more but it will be the proper pump, if you dont get the right pump you will be replacing it again. Go with the oem dealer pump.

As for the box, can you take a picture?

Monday, May 5th, 2008 AT 4:29 PM
  • firebirdguy2008

What about these pumps I was thinking the first repair

Tuesday, May 6th, 2008 AT 10:32 PM
  • blackop555

Yes that is the proper pump.

May I suggest buying a pump from us? We offer the same pump and ship out fast. Also if you run into any problems we can help you with it.

Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 AT 7:39 PM
  • firebirdguy2008

Hey guys got the fuel pump replaced and runs great again also installed a powerdyne supercharger kit and omg its unbelievably more powerful. About 100 more horse power now. My next question is how hard would it be to take my automatic transmission and change it with a 6 speed manual?

Saturday, July 19th, 2008 AT 9:29 AM
  • blackop555

Eeasy to take the old one out, but to put in the new one will be an undertaking, is yours a floorshift or column shift? If its a column, your gonna have to cut your floor and make some support for the new shifter.

Put in the new pedal.

Clutch resevoir and the likes of that.

Saturday, July 19th, 2008 AT 12:56 PM
  • firebirdguy2008

Its an auto slide floor shifter could I just remove the old one and just modify where the automatic shifter is? Would there be alot to modify or could I just buy the middle section from a manual firebird of same year

Sunday, July 20th, 2008 AT 11:09 AM