1992 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE HEATER BLOWING COLD AIR

• beckylousiana
  • 1992 Pontiac Bonneville

Heater problem
1992 Pontiac Bonneville V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 141000 miles

We have just rec'd this car tonight with plans to ship it to my son tommorrow, destination Nashviille, TN. The heater blows but, it never gets warm. The engine heats up normally. My husband has checked the thermostat, but we are very limited on time and knowledge. My son is in Nashville, with no support there, and we will have to rely on Mechanics to trust and repair. If anything, please recommend a trustworthy mechanic in that area, as we are thinking (hoping) that this will not be very expensive. He has to have a heater for defrosting the windshield. I would appreciate any advice. THANX!

Thursday, January 24th, 2008 AT 10:59 PM

• rasmataz

Did he replaced the thermostat? And check the coolant level also he can check the heater hose while its running it should be the same temperature, if not heater core could be clogged-up-

Thursday, January 24th, 2008 AT 11:49 PM
  • beckylousiana

My husband is at work and I went out and tried the hoses. The top one feels a little warm, while the bottom one is FLAT COLD.

Friday, January 25th, 2008 AT 7:51 AM
  • rasmataz

The coolant is not going thru the heater core-try flushing it out

Friday, January 25th, 2008 AT 9:24 AM
  • beckylousiana

Will Do, I may have to find a mechanic in Nashville, TN to do it, as the Auto Transport Truck is supposed to be here in 2 hours, can't find anyone here that will do it that soon. Can I do it? Is there instructions I can find on the internet? I am just a "girl" but I am willing to try anything to get this car heater going before I send it to my son.

Friday, January 25th, 2008 AT 10:07 AM
  • merlin2021

If one is cooler than the other, You need to flush the core, or do a replacement job on the heater core. Also if the system has a heat control valve on the heater hose, make sure it is working! Also check the thermostat, and the temperature blend door, thats under the dash, in the heater plenum. You can flush this yourself, buy the prestone flush kit and install the tee in the heater return line. Disconnect the heater hose at the waterpump, clamp the hose in back of the tee you installed and back flush till it runs clear.20 mins or so.

Saturday, January 26th, 2008 AT 11:33 AM