1998 Plymouth Voyager Turn Signal Problem

SPIEL1
  • 1998 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER
Electrical problem 1998 Plymouth Voyager 6 cylinder Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130,000 miles.

I have an intermittent problem with the turn signals. They will work sometimes and not others. When it rains they stop. If you open the hood and close it they will stop. After letting it sit for a few hours they will start working again. The hazard lights work all the time. I have replace the multifunction switch which did not help.
Fuses look good. Replaced back bulbs.
Any Ideas?
Saturday, January 23rd, 2010 AT 2:04 PM

When they stop working, does the flasher stop or does it flash real fast? If it goes real fast, that's indicating there is a bulb burned out or a wiring problem to one of the bulbs. When the problem acts up next time, put the hazard flashers on and check all the bulbs. They are the same ones as the turn signals. Wiring or bulb problems will affect only one direction, not both at the same time.

Since you didn't specify differently, I assume they stop working in either direction at the same time. That would point to the electronic flasher assembly. It's a relatively expensive and heavy unit. The weight can cause it to partially unplug from the socket. Try pushing it into its socket. It lives in the Junction Block up above the gas pedal.

Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 8:55 AM
SPIEL1
Sorry I was not more direct to the post. When the signals go out the flashers stop all together and both right and left signals go out. The hazard lights work perfectly though.

Now that the weather has cleared up the signals work. But if I open the hood and close it they will stop working for a few hours. If the van is not been driven for a few hours they will start to work again. All the time the hazard lights work perfect.
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 2:12 PM
CENTREAG
I have the same intermittent turn signal issue on my 96 Plymouth Voyager. In addition to the turn signals working fine one day and not working the next, the wiper blades will sometimes perform a single swipe when I engaged the turn signal. Replaced the multi function switch ($65) and all seemed to work well for about three weeks before the same issues resurfaced, and then no turn signals at all (hazards and wipers do work). Then replaced the flasher relay ($30) and now the right turn signal is fine, but the left one just stays lit. Another $95.00 and I may be able to buy a used Voyager! Not sure what the next step is, because it's beginning to point to wiring issues. Fuses are fine, as are bulbs.
+1
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 8:33 PM
For spiel1, I would still look to see if the flasher is drooping in its socket, especially after the opening-the-hood comment.

For CentreAg, if I read your comments correctly, you had no signals, but with the new flasher, the right side works. That is proof there is something different between the old and new units. As my Chrysler trainer used to say, "we not only sell you new parts, we sell them to you pre-broken". It's very common to find new parts that don't work due to all the unreliable electronics in them. I would try another new flasher.

Wipers turning on when you hit the signals is a mechanical problem, but there was a real common issue with the switches causing "phantom wipe". That was where the wipers would make one swipe for no apparent reason. It was caused by the Body Computer misinterpreting the values of various resistors in the switch and thinking you had selected the lowest delay setting. Isn't it amazing how the engineers can take an inexpensive, simple, reliable circuit, and add an unnecessary computer to it to cause all kinds of expensive problems? I autopsied one thinking I could measure the resistor and change it, but it's just a carbon trace on the circuit board. There's no where to solder a replacement onto. The only fix is to just replace the switch. It actually has three part numbers on it from the supplier. One is Chrysler's, one is Toyota's, but we never figured out the third one.

-1
Tuesday, January 26th, 2010 AT 3:10 PM
K-VERSA
Caradiodoc is right. The electronic flasher assembly. It is a relatively expensive and heavy unit. The weight can cause it to partially unplug from the socket.
The same model/year car, identical problem with intermittent disruption of the turning lights operation (bulbs, wiring, switch excluded as the cause). Removed the unit, inspected the electronic assembly under the cap - okay. Slightly twisted the contact blades before plugging the unit snugly back. Turning light flashing operation resumed okay.
+1
Tuesday, August 6th, 2013 AT 2:44 PM
KEN
Glad we could get it fixed please use 2CarPros. Com anytime we are here to help

Best, Ken
-1
Tuesday, November 22nd, 2016 AT 6:01 PM