1998 Plymouth Voyager no heat

MISTRD
  • 1998 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER
Rear wiper / int. Rear wiper, air cond. And recirculate air lights all flash. Temp selector and airflow selector do not function. Fan blows, but only cold air. "Airflow direction door" under right side of dash continually "thumps".

If I wasn't an unemployed carpenter, I would offer a donation. Right now, I just need heat so I can work on the rare day when I can find it.......

UPDATE:

In this forum I found directions to calibrate the compuiter. I did this and the result was this:

air cond and recirculate lights flash alternately, while;
rear intermit flashes 8 times, then
rear wipe flashes once, then
intermit flashes once, then
wipe flashes once, then
intermit flashes 4 times, then
repeat sequence.

Help>?

Thanks, mistrd

Another thing, , if this means that the cluster needs to be replaced, what models are compatible? I could get one from the bone yard and calibrate it?
Sunday, October 11th, 2009 AT 10:22 AM

SERVICE WRITER
Just to clarify, There is no heat. Meaning hot air at vents, or there is no air volume that blows through the vents when the blower is turned to ANY speed?
+1
Sunday, October 11th, 2009 AT 5:58 PM
MISTRD
The blower seems to operate correctly; air blows at different volume consistent with the blower setting. There just is no heat. Also, I can't direct the air to anything but the vents. I turn it to defrost, or feet, or, , anywhere, and it just blows from the vents.

Mistrd
+1
Sunday, October 11th, 2009 AT 10:39 PM
MISTRD
So, anyway, thanks for responding to my initial post, from two days ago, without really reading it as it said that the " fan blows, but only cold air". And that I did the diagnostics as mentioned. I was really hoping to get a timely and helpful response to my problem as it has been below freezing the last few nights in Wisconsin. Guess my donation didn't rate much attention, but hey, like I said, I'm unemployed. Guess I'll move on.

If I have a problem when I'm gainfully employed maybe I'll be able to afford some help, , oh wait, then I could probably afford to have it diagnosed locally, same day........ Not actually that bitter, just cold and tired.

Mistrd
+1
Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 AT 12:41 AM
BIG_JAY
Your truck has 2 or 3 blend doors under the dash. It is hard to tell whitch ones are not operating correctly. I understand you are out of work and tight like most people right now. The unit is flashing because there is a malfunction. When I get to work on wed I will look up your problem on my computer at work to see if I can offer you any more assistance with your problem. Please be patient because you have a complicated problem that really needs a chrysler scan tool to diagnose it.
+1
Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 AT 1:23 AM
SERVICE WRITER
May be 2 separate problems.

Recheck your code flashes.
If I read this right, the rear int value of 8 does not fit.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_voy1_2.jpg

IS your antifreeze full? The first thing to lose heat is the heater core. Check the level. IF level is good, check the two heater hoses going into the firewall. Are they both hot (normal) or is the inlet hot and outlet not hot (resricted or plugged heater core)

Is the check engine light on? For example if the t-stat is stuck open, it won't come to temperature too quick.
+1
Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 AT 6:02 AM
MISTRD
Radiator is full and has pressure. Both heater hoses are hot. Temp guage reads normal. Cooling fan runs occasionally as expected. "Service engine soon' light comes on occasionally, never stays on for long. Has done that for as long as I can remember.
Recently had the valve cover and oil pan gaskets replaced. Could they have unhooked something under the hood?
About a month ago, while it was warm out, even with the temp selector on cold and the fan was not blowing, hot air would mysteriously start flowing - not blowing, just hot air coming from the defrost vents -, then it would stop. Did that maybe 5 or 6 times that I noticed. Of course, now that it's cold out it won't do that, , ,

Rechecked codes:

recirculate and air flash alt;
wash flashes once
int flashes once
wash flashes once
int flashes 4 times
wash flashes once
int flashes 8 times
repeat sequence

Press wash:

recirculate and air flash together
int has fast flash while
wiper flashes twice
repeat sequence

Press wash:

recirculate and air flash togther
int flashes one short - one long while
wash flashes 3 times
repeat

press wash:

recirculate flashes - air on steady wihile
wash flashes 4 times
int flashes 6 times
int flashes once
wash flashes 4 times
repeat

press wash

rec and air flash together while
int flashes one long - one short while
wiper flashes 5 times
repeat.

Press wash
Goes back to first diagnostic

I have no idea. Sorry for whining, , , been a bit frustrated lately.

Thanks for your help. Hope we can figure this thing out.
If I take it to someone who has a Chrysler scan tool might it help diagnose it even if the check engine light isnt on?

Mike

Hmm,
Just found another interesting and probably unrelated thing. I was going back over the fuses and found a blown 10 amp under the dash in the "instrument panel illumination" position. I replaced it and now if the headlights (or parking lights) are on, I can turn the ignition off and take the keys out, but the engine continues to run. All the guages, radio, etc go off as usual. When I turn the headlights off, the engine quits running. Strange. With no fuse in that position, the engine turns off with the key.
Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 AT 11:56 AM
SERVICE WRITER
Good greif another electrical prob.
Hang in there if I can't get you through this I have back ups. You aren't whining. Life has your nuts in the vise and you want results. I empathyze. I sincerley want to help.

Believe me, I have been spending time trying to best research this. I wish I was more effecient, but. "Window licker" ( nice username. LMAO!) May have some input tommorrow too.

Right now I am inclined to think the blend door is stuck.
Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 AT 6:21 PM
SERVICE WRITER
I'm going to post this in the mod forum.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_voy2_2.jpg

You did the codes in accordance with the engine temperature?
Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 AT 6:44 PM
DAWNANDMIKEV
I have the same problem with my voyager with 75000 miles on it. Everythings hot to the hoses going to firewall. Think it is the blend doors. How are they controlled. Air blows out vents only and is cold.
Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 AT 7:28 PM
MISTRD
Service Writer,

You asked if I did the diagnostics in accordance with the engine temp? Not sure what you mean, but the engine was warm - tested it after I came back from town - the blower was on high, the temp set to cold and the selector set to vent with all vents open.
Thanks for all your help.
Is the blend door hard to get to??Think maybe I'll try to dig for it tomorrow nite. I actually have to work tomorrow - YIPPEEEEE!

Mike
+1
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 12:07 AM
MISTRD
Not sure if this will help, but I found the blend door that is clicking. It is behind the blower motor under/behind the glove box. I can reach up behind the motor that controls the door and move the linkage to manually open the door. Then the motor closes the door, and keeps trying to close the door. For whatever reason, something keeps telling it to close the door?

Anyway, that's about all I can get to without tearing the dash out, , and I'm not going there until it's the last resort.

Just thought I'd let you know what I found so far, , ,

Thanks again for your help.

Mike
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 10:37 AM
SERVICE WRITER
IF the blend door isn't stuck, but getting a command to shut, then I would start looking at the control head.

Glad to hear about the work!
And you did the test right, I'm not interpreting something.

Let me see if I can find a test for the control head.
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 5:31 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Here are some tests that can be done. I wish I understood the code interpretation better. Thing is I see an "8" on the flashes from the results but I don't see anything that corrolates to it. I see a "9" (3rd pic)
And it is straight forward. It is a bad control unit.....

Anyways here are some tests.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_avoy_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_avoy1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_avoy2_1.jpg

I see how the actuators are broken on these a little better now.

IF you need wiring diagrams or more info, let me know.
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 5:51 PM
DAWNANDMIKEV
Decided to buy the heat/ac control panel inside vehicle for $42. At junk yard. Plugged it in and problem solved, I now have heat. Hope this may help someone else.
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 10:14 PM
MISTRD
Well, I think I'm going to just run with the idea that the control panel is shot. So, , where is it located? Haha. Is this the one that's integrated into the back of the instrument panel?
What vehicles / years are compatible? I saw a '97 Caravan on Craigslist a guy is parting out - mine is a '98 voyager.
Thanks again for spending time on this for me.

Mike

So, yeah, , I just called the bone yard and now I'm sure I have no idea what I'm looking for, , , lol
I'm assuming I'm looking for an electronic module?
Please fill me in on exactly what I'm looking for, and tips on replacing it.

Thanks again !

Mike
Thursday, October 15th, 2009 AT 9:58 AM
SERVICE WRITER
I think there are interchangable, the boneyard can tell you.
It would be the unit that has the buttons that you are pressing.
Thursday, October 15th, 2009 AT 11:47 AM
MISTRD
I have heat !

Replaced the module ($65) and all is good.

Thanks again for the help :)

Have a great day.

Mike
Thursday, October 15th, 2009 AT 4:29 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Congrats!

Testing can be more of a project than replacing parts, but sometimes it can be a time saver!

Glad it worked out, Good luck with work!
Thursday, October 15th, 2009 AT 6:34 PM