GAS EXHAUST SMELL

• Pamilyas
  • PLYMOUTH

I have a 1986 Plymouth Caravelle with a 4-2.2L engine and 80,200 miles on it. When I start the car and turn on the heat or A/C there is a faint smell of gas or exhaust inside the car. I had a mechanic look for the problem and they said the fuel line needed to be replaced. I had the line replaced and I can still smell the gas/exhaust through the vents when the heat or A/C is on. The smell goes away if I turn the blower off. What could be the cause of this?

Thursday, February 15th, 2007 AT 9:59 AM

• Jack42

Any exhaust leaks? (Ticking sounds) Try the recirculate button or max A/C and see if the odor goes away. On regular the system sucks air from the base of the windshield, there might be some other leaks. Could also be some contamination in the vents, try turning on your heater and spray a little Ozium at the base of the windshield, let the car air out a little and see if it goes away

Thursday, February 15th, 2007 AT 10:36 AM
  • Pamilyas

When the vent is on max the smell is stronger. I will try the ozium spray.

Thursday, February 15th, 2007 AT 1:20 PM
  • Malletslinger

If that wasn't the problem.
Another possible cause could be that something is leaking onto(or was spilled on) the exhaust manifold.
The substance being burned on the exhaust manifold could be Oil, grease, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, or break fluid.
Look around when the car is cool, and if you find something, clean it up with some paper towls or a pressure washer, but be careful not to get any electrical components wet under the hood.

Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 2:17 AM
  • Testa

That is not going to help! I have a 93' Plymouth same problem! I have tried everything!

Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 6:24 PM
  • Jack42

MAybe time to drop the fuel tank and check the seal on the sending unit

Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 7:08 PM
  • Malletslinger

Have you checked the charcoal canister yet? It could be the culprit.
Or maybe an vac. Hose.
Is there anything else wrong with the car like stalling, hard starts, overheating, or decreased fuel economy?

Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 10:52 PM
  • Testa

Yes, I have stalling, and it seems to be missing as well.

Wednesday, February 21st, 2007 AT 9:00 PM
  • Malletslinger

Well if you are shure that there are no fuel leaks in the engine compartment (like at the fuel filter, or loose fuel injectors) then I would start by:
Checking/replacing: spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, distributor cap and rotor
Replace the fuel filter if you haven't done it recently.
Add some good fuel system cleaner to your next tank of gas.
All of these things are considered normal maintenance, and they could solve your problem.

Thursday, February 22nd, 2007 AT 2:49 AM