GAS EXHAUST SMELL

Plymouth

pamilyas

February, 15, 2007 AT 9:59 AM

I have a 1986 Plymouth Caravelle with a 4-2.2L engine and 80,200 miles on it. When I start the car and turn on the heat or A/C there is a faint smell of gas or exhaust inside the car. I had a mechanic look for the problem and they said the fuel line needed to be replaced. I had the line replaced and I can still smell the gas/exhaust through the vents when the heat or A/C is on. The smell goes away if I turn the blower off. What could be the cause of this?

Jack42

February, 15, 2007 AT 10:36 AM

Any exhaust leaks? (Ticking sounds) Try the recirculate button or max A/C and see if the odor goes away. On regular the system sucks air from the base of the windshield, there might be some other leaks. Could also be some contamination in the vents, try turning on your heater and spray a little Ozium at the base of the windshield, let the car air out a little and see if it goes away

pamilyas

February, 15, 2007 AT 1:20 PM

When the vent is on max the smell is stronger. I will try the ozium spray.

malletslinger

February, 18, 2007 AT 2:17 AM

If that wasn't the problem.
Another possible cause could be that something is leaking onto(or was spilled on) the exhaust manifold.
The substance being burned on the exhaust manifold could be Oil, grease, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, or break fluid.
Look around when the car is cool, and if you find something, clean it up with some paper towls or a pressure washer, but be careful not to get any electrical components wet under the hood.

testa

February, 20, 2007 AT 6:24 PM

That is not going to help! I have a 93' Plymouth same problem! I have tried everything!

Jack42

February, 20, 2007 AT 7:08 PM

MAybe time to drop the fuel tank and check the seal on the sending unit

malletslinger

February, 20, 2007 AT 10:52 PM

Have you checked the charcoal canister yet? It could be the culprit.
Or maybe an vac. Hose.
Is there anything else wrong with the car like stalling, hard starts, overheating, or decreased fuel economy?

testa

February, 21, 2007 AT 9:00 PM

Yes, I have stalling, and it seems to be missing as well.

malletslinger

February, 22, 2007 AT 2:49 AM

Well if you are shure that there are no fuel leaks in the engine compartment (like at the fuel filter, or loose fuel injectors) then I would start by: Checking/replacing: spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, distributor cap and rotor
Replace the fuel filter if you haven't done it recently.
Add some good fuel system cleaner to your next tank of gas.
All of these things are considered normal maintenance, and they could solve your problem.

Replace Muffler
Replacing Head Gasket
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8