WON'T START WHEN

1999 Plymouth Breeze

olsondo

January, 4, 2010 AT 9:47 AM

1999 Plymouth Breeze 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I have a 1999 Plymouth Breeze that starts and runs fine when the weather is nice. When the temp drops below freezing, the car sputters and won't start unless I floor the accelerator (I know I'm not supposed to with fuel injection). The car will eventually start, but runs rough until it's warm. Am I just destined to put a block heater in, or is there a sensor that could be on the fritz?
Thank you.

caradiodoc

January, 8, 2010 AT 3:33 AM

My first thought is a leaking fuel injector flooding one of the cylinders. You might see black smoke out the tail pipe when the engine starts. Proof would be found by installing a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and watching to see if pressure drops overnight. Pressure should be maintained for weeks without running the engine.

Another thought is a MAP sensor that is starting to fail. The engine computer uses this sensor to take a barometric pressure reading before cranking the engine, then it measures manifold vacuum after the engine is running. The computer also wants to see a change " from start to run". If the sensor reports a value outside the acceptable range, it could cause the computer to command insufficient fuel for starting. Wide-open-throttle causes an abnormally high voltage from the throttle position sensor which is a default voltage that causes the computer to temporarily disregard the MAP sensor. Usually MAP sensors fail rather quickly but they could slowly fail over a period of days.

Engine block heaters warm up the coolant, not the external sensors. Even if the engine starts easier with a block heater, that still doesn't solve the original problem. You want to fix the problem, not cover it up.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement