Parking brakes

HKFROMNY.
  • 2005 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Working on this car, and never seen how it is suppose to look. Seams like might be parts missing, I do not know. Can I find a video, or a PDF to study from? I tried YouTube, but not getting this particular vehicle specific. Hope someone can advise.
Sunday, June 17th, 2018 AT 8:32 AM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning.

After you remove the rotor, you should see the shoes. What normally happens is the actuator seizes up or the cable seizes up from the environment entering in such as snow, ice, debris.

I attached some pictures for you to view. If you can, can you upload what you see?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/parking-brake-shoe-replacement
Sunday, June 17th, 2018 AT 8:53 AM
HKFROMNY.
Yeah, but those pictures do not really help me much. I have replaced regular brakes (drum) and/or (disc) before, but these are the parking brakes on the inside of the rear disc rotors. I kind of need a video showing the removal and install of the components. I have ordered all the brake parts through RockAuto, but like I mentioned, I think there are parts missing from the old ones so I have no idea what I am doing after the new parts come in; like how the components fit together. I can take pictures or video of what I have here to start with if it helps.
Sunday, June 17th, 2018 AT 10:01 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Okay, please send me your pictures.

Sunday, June 17th, 2018 AT 10:09 AM
HKFROMNY.
Okay, going out now to do that, get right back with you, Thanks Roy.
Sunday, June 17th, 2018 AT 10:13 AM
ASEMASTER6371
No problem. Will be here all day.

Sunday, June 17th, 2018 AT 10:27 AM
HKFROMNY.
Okay, here is a few pictures of the parts, mind you, I have all new parts excluding the hub and knuckle sections, on their way. The pictures show each part that came off during dismantling. I thought that I may have dropped something, but found nothing using a magnet to check the ground area. Maybe you will need to see all the new parts once they arrive to give me some guidance?
Sunday, June 17th, 2018 AT 11:32 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Good pictures and video.

I am trying to find a better diagram for you.

Did you remove the other side to compare the parts?

Sunday, June 17th, 2018 AT 11:54 AM
HKFROMNY.
Both sides are the same. I already thought of that, which is why I think there are parts missing. Like the place where the cable goes to back side, its just tucked inside the slot behind the piston housing? Did not look right, but I am not a certified mechanic, just a fair DIYer, lol.
Sunday, June 17th, 2018 AT 12:09 PM
HKFROMNY.
Hey again Roy, hows your research coming along? No matter how I word it, I keep getting the wrong information and videos. I really hope you have better luck than I have. Only been looking through YouTube though too.
Sunday, June 17th, 2018 AT 3:35 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Me too. I have found nothing with a better view in all my information systems and there is no video for this anywhere.

Still looking.

Sunday, June 17th, 2018 AT 3:45 PM
HKFROMNY.
I am glad I am not alone in this. Man I cannot get a break from this. It is weird, but thanks for helping. I hope you come across something, I would not like to do this by text each step of the way. I cannot imagine it is that difficult, but somehow I got to get this done for my niece. Good luck in our search, I have got to hit the rack, check back after I get up in morning. Thanks so much Roy.
Sunday, June 17th, 2018 AT 4:32 PM
HKFROMNY.
Hey, have you had any luck? I am assuming not.
Monday, June 18th, 2018 AT 4:46 PM
HKFROMNY.
Roy, came across this video, https://youtu.be/uo1RnATyEok But it still does not tell me anything about how, where cable connects.
Monday, June 18th, 2018 AT 5:03 PM
STEVE W.
The cable goes through the bracket pictured. There is a slot on the end that goes over the actuator lever that slides into a slot in the rear of the second image piece. The second part will have two notched parts in it, one just sets into the part the the other has an adjuster.
This is the same basic set up GM used on the Blazers and even the full sized trucks. They all go together the same basic way although a couple reverse the cable location.

Www. Youtube. Com/watch?V=bSS1qHMNdLM
Monday, June 18th, 2018 AT 11:32 PM
HKFROMNY.
Okay, I think I am understanding the procedure. So, my thought that there would be some form of lever type that the cable hooks to in order to put pressure on the actuator to spread the horseshoe brake-shoe to set park. I was completely wrong. I will have to see if these parts from Rock Auto tell me any more details. I really do appreciate all you guys's help and patience with me. I will be in touch if needed again after Thursday when parts arrive. Thanks again crew.
Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 AT 6:10 AM
STEVE W.
The levers that actuates the parking brake are in the third picture. They now have orange on them. They go through the two rubber pieces G/O which go into the large hole in the backing plates. The large black cable brackets mount to the rear of the axle flange and the cables attach to those. The end of the cable slides over the actuator lever and the spring goes out the other side to the mount. In NY you usually see those springs rot off and the backing plates rot out and need to tear most of the hardware off to replace it.
I read your name as being in NY? What general area?
Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 AT 1:42 PM
HKFROMNY.
Hello again, I think I am finally putting this together in my head, does not seem to be very complex. Think I should have no trouble assembling, since it will all be new. If you look on the map between Albany and Binghamton I-88 is main highway, we are a little area called East Meredith.
Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 AT 2:15 PM
STEVE W.
Once you have the pieces the puzzle becomes easier.

E. Meredith, Yep been there. I am up between Rt. 20 and I-90 almost due north of you.
Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 AT 6:50 PM
HKFROMNY.
I will sends some pictures of the stages if I get lost in the madness. I did happen to locate one of the levers that go into the back slot, it was, believe it or not, fused in a rusty clump still attached to the cable, the other side must have rusted completely off the end of the cable, might be the reason why the parking brake failed, lol. Anyhow, enough humor for the night, and we will be talking later maybe.
Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 AT 9:30 PM
STEVE W.
Not surprised. NY salt just eats them alive. I have cut more than a few apart with a torch and replaced it all, just to get that one use during inspection.
Tuesday, June 19th, 2018 AT 11:07 PM