STALLING ALL THE TIME

1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88

ldyfromnowhr

1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 116000 miles

Help! We have tryed most everything. My son bought his first car from a 90 year old woman that has owned this car since it was new, it has been garaged for most of it's life, and in very good condition, however we have been having a problem with it stalling when it gets to a stop. It doesnt stall in neutral and idles fine unless in drive, it seems to be a problem with too much fuel when the rpms drop. It just chokes and dies, but it fires right up again. We have had it in the shop five times and still the problem exists we have changes the spark plugs and wires, the ignition coil, the fuel filter, checked the fuses checked the torch convertor, vaccumm lines, air filter, frankly Im at a loss, I have suggested the fuel pump but the mechanics dont think so. Maybe a oxygen fuel ratio. Is that possible. Are these cars prone to something like this, any suggestions

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

MyroIII

February, 25, 2009 AT 1:44 PM

This exact problem was happening to my car. (Same make/model/year) And it turned out that my catalytic converter was clogged.

jeepster38

March, 25, 2009 AT 8:12 AM

Check your crank position sensor, sometimes they get out of alignment or check wiring leading to cps.

teeroller

April, 7, 2009 AT 8:13 PM

I have same car with a 3.8 and 49K orig miles. I replaced fuel pump, CPS, wire to fuel pump as well as several tune-ups and vacuum lines with no relief. I have not changed the cat conv but I have the trouble after the car has been running for a while. The idle gets real rough and goes to a stall while in drive. I have to go to neu and rev it up to keep from stalling. I have replaced the MAS twice. The first time 10 years ago, it was the problem. Not this time. I have noticed that when running the car after a 30-60 minute trip, it begins to stall like it is running out of fuel. My last trip when it started to do this, I parked for a couple of hours. When I tried to start it, it just turned over like I had no fuel. I then realized that I did not hear the fuel pump kick in. I got out the little hammer and tapped everythinhg. The pump kicked in with a turn of the key and it started right up. The stalling began each time I had to take my foot off the gas. Today, it started giving me trouble early. Any luck on you car?