1999 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA TRANSFER CASE

• hdmcvrod
  • 1999 Oldsmobile Bravada

1999 Oldsmobile Bravada 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 142000 miles

i here alot of clicking under the dash near th glove box all the time.. The light for service traction control is not on. If I go up a snow covered hill, the front wheels will not spin. Only the rear spin. How do I diagnose the system? Is there a clutch inside the transfer case? I have replaced the transfer case motor actuator.

Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 6:41 PM

• jesirby

Inside the transfer case is a viscous clutch packs when one set of wheels begin to slip the fluid thickens and moves a set of clutches that transfers the power to the wheels that grip. More than likely there is also a chain and sprocket set that wears out before the clutch pack. If you got a clunking sound and the front wheels do not engage and you replaced the motor actuator you pretty much diagnose it. The only things you can do as far as I know is tear into it and replace the chain and gear assembly and while you are there you should replace the clutch pack to. If you have never rebuild a transfer case I would take it to a good gear and axle place or a Transmit ion place and see if they will let you watch them rebuild it.

Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 12:37 PM
  • jesirby

On the speed channel there is a show called truck-u and there last episode 1/10/10 they just rebuilt a transfer very similar to yours and you can see a good pic of the chain and gear assembly.

Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 12:48 PM