No brake lights

BRIANSANTLY
  • 2002 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
Okay, thank you in advance. I have no brake lights at all, all three are out. Checked all fuses and replaced brake lamp switch. I figure the brake lights probably run through the four way switch and/or the multi-switch maybe electronic flasher? Not sure. All other lights work perfectly.
Tuesday, April 24th, 2018 AT 11:45 AM

The best clue is the center high-mount light also does not work. That does not go through the signal switch or anything else, so the circuit is very basic. Also, all three brake lights are on separate circuits, so there is very little all three have in common. That is where we have to look.

Go to the gray/red wire on the brake light switch and check for twelve volts. It should be there all the time. If that is missing, check for twelve volts on both sides of fuse 26, a 20-amp, in the Integrated Power Module, (fuse box), under the hood.

If you do have that twelve volts at the switch, check for twelve volts on the white/tan wire when you push the brake pedal. If that is missing, the switch is defective or it is the wrong switch. Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, April 24th, 2018 AT 12:13 PM
BRIANSANTLY
Okay, I have no voltage in the white and tan wire when I press the pedal so I jumped the wires and still no brake lights.
Tuesday, April 24th, 2018 AT 1:48 PM
Check for twelve volts on the gray/red wire.
+1
Tuesday, April 24th, 2018 AT 2:44 PM
BRIANSANTLY
I might have a bad ground, when jumped I got voltage at the circuit board at my tail light assembly, unless all three lights use the same ground?
I do not have my power probe any more, this is tough without it.
Tuesday, April 24th, 2018 AT 3:37 PM
The two outer brake lights share a common ground connection, but the center brake light uses a different one. The center light's ground is the same ground for the license lamps, so if the license lamps work, that ground is okay. The turn, signal, and back-up lamps share the same ground as the brake lights, so if those other lights work, that ground is okay.
Tuesday, April 24th, 2018 AT 4:40 PM

Sponsored links