Timing chain marks

LILUN
  • 1997 NISSAN TRUCK
Four cylinder two wheel drive manual.

Just replaced the timing chain but not sure how to reset the timing to the proper specs. The timing looks to be set right. The truck still will not start could the distributor be 180 degrees out?
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 7:46 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Yes, the rotor could be positioned wrong. Crankshaft pulley marks and front cover marks should align and the distributor. Rotor should point to plug wire number one on the cap. Here are both the four and six cylinder timing marks for the camshaft. Below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Graphic_539.jpg

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
+12
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 9:00 PM
LILUN
The truck still is turning over really slow and there is a little tapping noise but when you move the distributor cap the noise stops. Could a bad distributor cause that?
Friday, May 28th, 2010 AT 9:23 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Crankshaft sensor may be at fault instead of the distributor.
+2
Saturday, May 29th, 2010 AT 9:01 AM
LILUN
Will an engine out of a 1994 Nissan truck work in a 1997 Nissan truck?
+3
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 11:17 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
The 1990 to 1997 Nissan Hard-body truck used the same engine, the 2.4L SOHC twelve-valve.
+3
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 7:07 PM
SAYLES4
  • 1997 NISSAN TRUCK
Replaced timing chain and sprockets. Thought we aligned it correctly. Now it runs but timing is way advanced. Cannot adjust less then twenty degrees btdc. Was running good before we changed out the timing chain. We were trying to do preventative maintenance.
+3
Saturday, April 1st, 2017 AT 4:47 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Even though you had the marks set, they may have moved when you tension-ed the chain with the tension-er. Re-check the marks.

+4
SAYLES4
Just verified that the marks are set and that they did not move. The truck seems to run good, but my timing is still at twenty btdc. Can I let it go like this?
+3
ASEMASTER6371
Twenty is not too bad for idle timing. Going to check the spec.
+2
  • 1997 NISSAN TRUCK
I have just replaced the timing chain, both cam and crank gears, and rear oxygen sensor. Erased the check engine light, now no lights are on.
I had the number one piston up and I set it on TDC. The way the book shows me is the first marking is negative 5, 0, 5, 10, 15, 20.
I aligned it at the zero marking. Now when I start the truck it does not want to idle, have played around with the distributor, advancing and retarding the timing, cannot get it to idle.
When I give it some throttle it wants to run better, seems like it is flooding out. Can you help me? Thank you.
+2
ASEMASTER6371
What code? What kind of truck? What engine?

Thank you.

LEEMIKESKA
  • 1997 NISSAN TRUCK
Four cylinder two wheel drive manual 240,000 miles.

I just bought this pickup and it runs great. I do not think the timing belt has ever been changed. Should I change it even if it runs like a dream?
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Change the belt as a matter of coarse, if it fails and it will not give any warning you will at best be stranded and at worst do serious damage. I am not sure which engine you have so I do not know if it is interference or not, this goes for any belt driven engine. If you do not know the exact history replace the belt.

SKOOTER1113
  • 1997 NISSAN TRUCK
Had to take the timing chain out, it had broken the timing adjuster and rubbed a hole in the timing cover where the water jacket was, letting water in the oil. So it had already jumped time. So I changed everything and bought new parts. Need to know how to time it back. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Sunday, September 9th, 2018 AT 4:51 PM (Merged)
Here are the camshaft timing marks. Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
+1