SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT ON STALLS AND JERKS

2004 Nissan Altima

ANGELNICOLE

June, 7, 2008 AT 9:22 AM

2004 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 194000 miles

MY SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON A FEW MONTHS BACK I'VE TAKEN IT TO BE SERVICE BUT THE LIGHT IS STILL ON. THE CAR WILL JERK WHILE DRIVING SOMETIME AND SOMETIME WHEN YOU STOP IT WILL CUT OFF, BUT IT WILL START BACK UP. ALSO SOMETIME IT IS HARD TO START IT TURNS OVER BUT IT WANT START. YOU HAVE TO KEEP TRYING THEN IT WILL EVENTUALLY START.I HAD A RECALL ON MY EMISSION AND THAT IS WHEN ALL MY TROUBLE STARTED.

ANGELNICOLE

June, 7, 2008 AT 9:28 AM

June, 7, 2008 AT 10:06 AM

Hi ANGELNICOLE,

Get a san done to find out what the engine check light is indicating before we continue.

mirom2

July, 7, 2008 AT 10:37 PM

Sounds a lot like what was happening to me, if you cant start it, get some starting fluid and open airbox and spray a few times into tube above air filter, the close it and try to start, if it srarts like normal and stalls again after a few seconds, do read on, this should save you some cash.
Hi, I have had a similar issue, took the car to a shop they replaced a bunch of parts that they said were definitely bad, but thats another story, they gave me a BS story each time they replaced something, and I am talking a reputible shop in town here, not some joe shmo, found the issue myself after doing some thinking, if you cannot start car, have someone else turn key for you and you listen from backseat with the larger half of the seat folded forward, the fuel pump is right below where the velcro connects the trunk carpet right below there, but to get to it back seat comes out, along with the round pressed metal surround under the plastic pieces there along with them. Anyways listen for the fuel pump as the other person turns key, you cant do this test yourself. If you hear nothing, its most likely it, try a few times, then get out and rock the car back and forth a couple times from side to side, at this point the wire which is half broken inside may align itself, try listening again, if you are able to start car, then get the sending unit or fuel pump harness kit, forget which it was, but the wire that is bad is the one that connects to top of the fuel tank seal and the other side to the fuel pump. I hope this saves a lot of headaches for everyone, and I can't believe that nissan doesnt even have this documented. Definite design flw, basically what happens is while driving the sending unit along with fuel pump are suspended by 2 fuel lines and this wire harness, and it, just like any piece of metal eventually partially breaks when folded back and forth a thousand times.I dont believe you can buy the cable itself, it comes as a part of the kit or sending unit, one connector is flat, other square with rounded corners, I believe around 80$ bucks at nissan dealer only. Good luck, let me know how it works out.
-Miro