1998 Nissan Altima Keeps blowing the blinker and Hazard fus

HAWKPILOT
  • 1998 NISSAN ALTIMA
I've traces the wiring harness as far as I could and didn't see any loose or bare wires. Some have suggested that the Flasher Module is bad, but I don't know where or what that is. Please help.
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 6:33 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi HawkPilot,

Thank you for the donation.

There are 2 fuses in underdash fusebox, Fuse # 11 ( 10 A ) for the flasher which is hot only when ignition switch is trned to ON and Fuse # 20 ( 10 A ), hot at all times, for hazard, does both blows?

Does the fuse(s) blows immediately when switched on?
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 10:33 AM
HAWKPILOT
When the blinker fuse blows, which happens frequently, and I turn on the Hazards it will also blow.
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 1:17 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi HawkPilot,

Sorry I did not make myself clear.

Does the fuse blows immediately when you turn on the turn signal or hazard? Or does it work for a short time before blowing?

Prior to this happening, did you replace any bulbs or do electrical repairs?

Any accidental body damages?
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 6:17 AM
HAWKPILOT
The fuse doesn't immediately blow it usually takes a week or so before it will blow the fuse. I haven't replaced the bulb or done any electrical repairs.
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 10:02 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi HawkPilot,

Being an intermittent problem, it is not easy to pinpoint the fault and it could be any of the following
1. Bulbs, somtimes they have internal fault and would take some heating up to cause it to blow.

2. Wires, some could be exposed and is vibration causes it to be gounded.

3. The flasher relay could be faulty. The unit is located behind the dash, right of steering and sorry I do not have any diagrams to show you.

Check if any of the bulbs seems not as bright as the others, that would mean a high resistance and possible cause for shorting.

I could not find any Technical Service Bulletins regarding this so it means it is not a known problem and you might need to try checking the buls or replacing the flasher unit to test.
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 AT 2:59 PM
HAWKPILOT
Thank you for your help and I'll give them a try.
Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 AT 2:05 AM