1994 Nissan Altima misfire under acceleration

• 1 POST

1994 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 50000 miles

I have a 94 altima that, when I start it when cold, runs just great. But within a minute, if I step on the throttle fairly quickly it starts to misfire. The warmer the engine gets, the worse the misfire, and dies at times. If I step on the throttle slowly, the engine runs fine at times, then after about 10-15 minutes its hard to restart. I have already replaced the injectors, fuel pressure regulator, plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, mass airflow sensor, distributor, wires, cap, rotor, map sensor, ecm, o2 sensor, ignition control module, distributor transistor, and ignition coil. The check engine light never comes on, but is functional. I have checked for codes and brings up the knock sensor but is very difficult to replace. The sensor and harness are fine when I checked it with a meter. I have checked and bypassed the knock sensor with and without a resistor but ends up the same.I have even removed the exhaust and ruled out the converter and did a compression test with good results 170-175psi on all cylinders. I am stumped and have been fighting this all year.

Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 8:57 PM

Hi chesterco,

Thank you for the donaton.

You have replaced almost everything that can be related to the issue so there is nothing much left to check.

I would suggest checking the Throttle Position Sensor and Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.

Are the spark plugs running rich? An out of range ECT can cause that and difficulty in starting due to flooding.

Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 11:51 AM