Doesn't want to start.

SYLVIA2555
  • MITSUBISHI
I have a 95 Mit Ecilpse and about a week ago it started hesitating in traffic and the RPM's were falling below 1, like midway between 1 and 0, as if it were going to stall. Then a couple of days ago it did cut off at a red light. The this morning it took me about 3 minutes of trying to crank for it to start. Could this be my starter going out, relay maybe?
Monday, August 14th, 2006 AT 12:53 PM

MIKEYBDMAN
Not the starter. When you finally got it started, how did it run? Sounds more like a fuel pump, or some other sensor faulting. Did you get a service engine soon light, or engine light come on?
Monday, August 14th, 2006 AT 7:55 PM
SYLVIA2555
I received no service engine light. After it finally started, it would sputter a bit at red lights, but no every one. I put some fuel injection cleaner in this AM just to try. I did not have any problems this AM with it cranking. It just seems like something is failing, it seems weak. My RPM's are usually at 1 or a notch above but now it is between the 0 and 1 and the lower it gets to zero is when the sputter occurs. Could I need to change the air filter?
Tuesday, August 15th, 2006 AT 9:21 AM
MIKEYBDMAN
If the air cleaner is very clogged it could cause running problems. If it has been a long time since you had a tune up, that might be a great place to start. I know it cost money, but if you dont get reoutine maintenance, it will eventually cause problems down the road.
Tuesday, August 15th, 2006 AT 1:55 PM