2001 Mitsubishi Montero Transmission

PRELUDE2244
  • 2001 MITSUBISHI MONTERO
Hi. I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited (Full Size) Where exactly is the Transmission Drain Bolt located? I would like to do a maintenance Transmission fluid change. Can I just do a drain and refill with the Montero like what I do with our Honda Prelude and Honda CRV?

Thanks.
Tuesday, March 4th, 2008 AT 8:26 PM

EDWINCAS
I am wanting to do the same to my Montero.
Have you had any luck.

Saturday, June 7th, 2008 AT 1:02 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi Prelude2244, edwincas,

The drain plug is at the bottom of the trans oil sump at the centre of the vehicle.

That is for the ATF.

At the transfer there is another drain plug for the transfer gear oil which is not ATF.

You can do the oil change yourself but remember to use the correct fluid as recommended.

If the ATF is too bad in condition, I would recommend a filter change together, which would require the sump to be removed.
Saturday, June 7th, 2008 AT 1:16 PM
EDWINCAS
Thanks for the quick reply.

I drained the fluid out the bottom pan in the center of the vehicle as you advised. The fluid was rather dark which I suspected. Should I just replace the fluid thru the dipstick valve or would you recommend something different?
To be honest I am kind of confused when you mentioned transfer gear oil. I just wanted to change the trans fluid as I could feel it needed it but if there is more to it for this vehicle please let me know.

Thanks Again,

Edwin
Saturday, June 7th, 2008 AT 6:17 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi edwincas,

Just draining out from the bottom pan would only replace about 40 % of the fluidin the system.

If not you did not replace the filter, keep the next replacement period shorter.

Filling is through the dipstick.

Check level again after warming up and if you do any oil or fluid change, it is better to have the engine warmed up before doing it.
Saturday, June 7th, 2008 AT 11:30 PM
EDWINCAS
Thanks again for your informative reply.

Would it be best to drain all the fluid out? How would I be able to do that myself?

Also, I saw that ATF +4 is supposed to work for Mitsubishi vehicles. Would I be okay using this or should I only buy from the dealer?

How difficult is it to change the filter?
Should I be concerned at all about the transfer gear oil?

Thanks Again,

Edwin
Sunday, June 8th, 2008 AT 10:20 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi edwincas,

Any oil of recommended grade specification would do.

To replace the filter you need to remove the oil pan, then the filter and replace the pan with new gaskets. Do not overtighten the bolts, it will cause the pan to distort and leak.

Of course it would be best if you can drain out all the fluid, but don't lose sleep over it because it is impossible to get everything out.

The transfer and the differential gear oils normally last longer than the ATF and has less cause for concern unless the vehicle is used under extreme conditions.
Sunday, June 8th, 2008 AT 11:17 AM