MITSUBIS CAR WON'T START

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage

charlessa

July, 25, 2009 AT 10:59 AM

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage Automatic 187000 miles

My 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage started to get real hot sometimes while driving but mostly when I was stuck in a drive-thru pressing the brakes down and the car not moving. While on the highway the car started to smoke and after pulling over the car completely shut down but seemed as if it wants to crank but it's still not. This one mechanic stated that my timing belt needed to be replaced so that my valves or something can open. It's not the head gaskets because there was no water in the oil from what I was told. What can be the problem? Is it the timing belt

Jacobandnickolas

August, 8, 2009 AT 9:10 PM

Overheating can cause many things. It can cause a headgasket to go (without leaking coolant into the oil), it can warp an engine block or head, but it would be unusual for it to break a timing belt. Before doing anything, I would recommend checking engine compression. Here is a how to:

http://www.2carpros.com/dia/how_to_check_compression.htm

Let me know what the compression in each cylender is.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test