2002 Mitsubishi Galant Brakes do not work!

BASSLERFOUR
  • 2002 MITSUBISHI GALANT
  • AWD
Brakes were soft and had to push the pedal to the floor to get them to stop the car. Now when the
pedal is pushed to the floor it does not stop the car.
I checked the brake fluid and it was low so I added some. But brakes are still not working. Do I need to replace the Master Cylinder of could it be accumulator failure causing the brakes to fail?
Can the master cylinder be replaced yourself or is this something that a mechanic should do, and if so about how much does this cost?

Thanks for your assistance!
Kimberly
Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 1:13 PM

MERLIN2021
First step is a complete brake inspection, any of your hydraulic parts could be leaking, I would remove all four wheels and check brakes, inspect steel lines and rubber flex hoses. If all check out OK then it's time to suspect the master cylinder, when you adde fluid you used DOT 3 brake fluid right?
-1
Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 1:35 PM
BASSLERFOUR
Yes, that is what I put in. Will have husband check what you recommended and see if that may be the
culprit.
Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 1:54 PM
MERLIN2021
Have you been hearing any grinding or feeling it in the pedal?
+1
Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 3:08 PM
BASSLERFOUR
Yes there is a grinding sound and I noticed that after I added the brake fluid after some time the brakes did not feel as "soft" as they were and I back up in my parking area and pulled forward and they were working however they got soft again and then I noticed that the brake fluid was on my parking area! What do you think?
Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 4:42 PM
MERLIN2021
I think one of your calipers is leaking, look on the tires on the inside, you will find one is wet with brake fluid or a steel line is dripping. Have hubby step on the pedal and look for the leak! In any case it's time for some new parts! Dont drive until leaks are fixed, and the master should be OK and better yet, you will live to drive again!
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 2:50 PM
BASSLERFOUR
Thank you so much for all of your assistance and taking the time to help us out with our question.
This makes sense and we will get this checked out and repaired ASAP!

Thanks again! Have a great weekend.
Regards,
Kimberly
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 4:25 PM
MERLIN2021
You too! Let me know what you find!
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 5:12 PM