2000 MITSUBISHI GALANT CAR IS NEARLY OVERHEATING WHEN DRIVE

• mvs
  • 2000 Mitsubishi Galant

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Mitsubishi Galant 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 61,000 miles

About 1 month ago, I had the timing belt replaced on my 2000 Mitsubishi Galant, as recommended by the manufacturer. The car seemed to be revving high, and after 2 trips back to the mechanic, things seemed normal. Two weeks have passed, and now the car is running very hot (temp. Gage is very close to being in the red zone). The car was brought back in and the thermostat was changed and the radiator was flushed. The car was taken on the turnpike today and once again, the temperature was climbing near the red. HELP! I feel like a pest bringing the car back again.

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 AT 9:21 PM

• KHLow2008

Hi mvs,

If the car has a problem bringing it back is not being a pest.

When does the overheating starts? High speed? City driving?

Are the fans working?

Is there any coolant leakage?

Is coolant level in radiator full?

Was the water pump replaced when timing belt was replaced?

+1
Saturday, July 5th, 2008 AT 10:40 AM
  • mvs

No, water pump wasn't replaced with the timing belt.

The car was checked again by the mechanic over the weekend, and they say everything is fine. They had it out on the highway, and nothing happened, but they didn't ride it long enough. Today, the car was driven on the highway and it was nearing red after 1 hour of driving.

-2
Monday, July 7th, 2008 AT 8:24 PM
  • KHLow2008

Hi mvs,

When the gauge is showing hot, are the fans working full time or they start and stop?

What did you do and how long did it take for the temp reading to go down?

Does the high temp occurs only at high speed driving?

+2
Tuesday, July 8th, 2008 AT 7:13 AM
  • mvs

Thanks KHLow. Not sure about the fans working full time or start/stop when it runs hot. I'll have to pay attention.

As soon as it started nearing the red, I shut off the AC and put the heat on full blast. It took approximately 10 mins for the temp needle to start going back down to where it should be. But even with the heat on the needle wasn't at the "normal" position. While it was better and away from the red, it was still running where I would consider it hotter than normal/usual.

Yes - the gauge seems to only creep toward the red when high speed driving. I can drive it around the city for awhile and it will remain pretty much normal. But 10-15 mins of driving on the highway at 75 mph and the needle quickly starts to rise. This never used to happen prior to having the timing belt changed.

Thanks again in advance for your help/suggestions.

-1
Tuesday, July 8th, 2008 AT 6:58 PM
  • KHLow2008

Hi mvs,

If the overheating occurs only at high speed driving, the cooling system is inefficient, you need to check for,

1. Clogged radiator, hoses and passageway.

2. Thermostat unable to open fully.

3. Weak water pump or loose belting. Was water pump replaced same time as timing belt?

4. Radiator coolant level.

Wednesday, July 9th, 2008 AT 12:35 AM
  • mvs

Hi KHLow2008,

The water pump wasn't replaced when they changed the timing belt.

I dropped the car off at the Mitsubishi dealer, so hopefully they'll solve the problem and I can drive it on the highway.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I'll let you know what the outcome is!

Wednesday, July 9th, 2008 AT 8:46 PM
  • sk4t0

Hi mvs

I owe a Mitsubishi Galant 2000 myself and I have the same problem in my car when driving not only in high speeds but in street get the temperature needle almost in the red zone. Turn the heather at full speed used to help, not any more. The radiator is full of antifreeze same as the back up container. Changed the Thermostat but the car keeps overheating. Did you find the answer? What was it? Is you car fix now?

Thank you.

Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 2:08 AM
  • KHLow2008

Check the cooling fans for proper operations.
DO you have coolant losses issues?

Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 3:10 PM
  • sk4t0

Yes I found out like 3 days ago that my car is trowing antifreeze but I don't know from were when I drive on street I have not problems but in the freeway gets overheated and needs more antifreeze but it leave no marks when the car is stopped is not liking.

Wednesday, January 12th, 2011 AT 5:24 AM
  • KHLow2008

When leaks are minimal, coolant would not leak onto the ground and you would need a pressure test to locate the source. If no leakeages are found in engine compartment, check the cabin, coolant could be leaking from the heater core.

When coolant is depleting, there must be a leak somewhere. Is the recovery tank depleting as well?

Was any repairs done prior to this occurring?

Wednesday, January 12th, 2011 AT 2:43 PM