2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse brake noise

INMANN
  • 2007 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
I have been getting the runaround about brake noise.
New. The Spyder made no brake noise. Even before front brakes re-done, no front noise. But about 6 months ago I started having rear brake (reverse) noise.
Was told it was normal when wet. Noise throughout the hot / dry days whenever I back up.
Dealer service says this is normal but it was not for the first 30K miles.
What can I do to get rid of this noise?

Thanks, Nancy
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 5:24 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Brake noise can happen for various reasons.

IF the technician did not burnish in the pads after replacing them, the pad surface may not be cured.

The brand/quality of the parts can have an affect. The best I have come across is the the Napa Brand. Ultra premium rotors and adaptive one pads are engineered to be quiet. IF dampness is absorbed by the pads, they can temporarily squeak until warmed.

Poor installation can result in noise. A lack of lubrication on the back of the pads and other Contact points can result in noise. Not effectivley cleaning the caliper contact points before installing the pads can add to this. Reusing worn hardware is not always best.

IF the pad wears into the rotor, the edge may cause a vibration. Noise is a vibration in essence.
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 5:18 AM
INMANN
Rear brakes have not been replaced. Was told I have 40% pad remaining.
Again. Service states that nothing can be done about noise when backing up.
How come this was not a problem 6 months ago?
What does service need check / do to stop the rear brake noise?
Thanks a bunch, Nancy
Monday, June 29th, 2009 AT 4:37 PM
SERVICE WRITER
IF the dealer is not willing to take care of the problem, then you need to seek out a shop that is willing to.

I mis-read, I thought the rears were also done.

Upfront, I have not dealt with this car regarding brakes. However, there are some systems that are inherent due to design such as the neon. Since you did go a long time without noise I would be thinking that possibly the pad wore into the rotor, the edge may cause a vibration that has been cut into it. The original flat against flat surface is no longer there. Also the components have been compromised from usage.

IF it were mine, I would first attempt to pull out the pads and service them with a high quality grease on all the contact points and make sure everything is moving as it should to see how that works.

IF this fails, I would replace them with the Napa parts I mentioned earlier. I have yet to have a noise from them....granted there is always a first time. Hardware may be weak, if so they should be replaced.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_caliper_lube_20.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_caliper_lubeareas_19.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_caliper_lubeareasbrack_20.jpg

Monday, June 29th, 2009 AT 7:35 PM