2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Installed aftermarket headers. CEL

JLANC20
  • 2003 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
I recently installed a set of headers on my car. The car runs perfectly fine but the CEL came up a day after I installed them. The code said warm up catalyst below threshold. It looked as if my stock headers had a catalytic converter on them but I am not sure. I know there is one underneath my car. I was wondering if this could be my problem and if im hurting anything by still driving it. I erased the code today and it hasnt come back up yet. I was also wondering what I could do to fix this, ive seen that you can buy o2 sensor spacers to raise the rear sensor out of the exhaust flow. Please give me your opinion. Thank you
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 12:17 AM

RACEFAN966
If the light comes back on then get me the code number so I can look it up. I would say it does come back on you may need to replace the rear O2.
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 10:26 AM
JLANC20
It came back on today.I was wondering if you would know if my car had two catalytic converters.I know it has one and the stock exhaust looks like it has one as well. The new header I put on doesnt have one so wouldnt that throw things off? The exhaust would only be goin through one converter instead of two. Because I never had this problem until I recently put those headers on.I have the o2 sensor spacer coming. It doesnt do harm to the car running with the that light on does it?
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 1:01 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok this no different then when I put the cat back system on my Mustang. It set the light because of having more exhaust flow. It ended up replacing both rear O2 sensors and the light hasn't come back on. So I suspect the same it with you car. You have removed the pre cat that was part of the exhaust manifold, so now the rear O2 sensor is seeing more exhaust flow (lower exhaust temp). You can try the spacer but don't rule out possibly having to replace it ok. As for driving it with the engine light on, no it won't harm it you just won't get the best mpg. If the light comes back on after the spacer please get me the actual code number so I can look into to tell you what may be needed.
Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 10:04 AM
JLANC20
Okay ill do that. How would the new o2 sensor fix it tho im confused because wouldnt it be the same as the one thats in it now? Or did u buy a better one for ur stang? So ur sayin its probable running rich because its sensing there is more o2 in the exhaust. Im hopin the spacer works I just dont know how it would heat it up if its not getting hot enough now being in the exhaust flow. Please reply thanks for the help
Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 3:07 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok if the spacer don't fix it then by replacing it you are giving it a fresh sensor. The new sensor will work on a wider band therefore correcting what it thinks is wrong. I bought stock ones for my Stang but they worked on a wider band therefore light out. Make any sense? If not just ask away. Let me know how the spacer works.
Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 8:57 PM

Related Check Engine Light Content