Timing belt is off what do I do?

JJSPETS2008
  • 1997 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE

Engine Performance problem 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 177000 miles

I changed my timing belt in my 97 eclipse its a DOHC 2.0L The problem Im having is the timing is off now and I do not know how to get it back in time I have lined up the timing marks again and again and still have had no luck in getting them to stay into place someone told me to put it in time by using the valves but Im not sure how to do it. Please if anyone can help me! I need to know step by step how to do this right.

Thursday, October 14th, 2010 AT 6:03 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Here is a complete page of diagrams for your car.

https://www.2carpros.com/diagrams/mitsubishi/eclipse/1998

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 7:09 PM
JOSH_L
  • 1998 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
  • MERGED

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 170000 miles

i am replacing the timing belt on my 98 eclipse gs-t.i have a chiltons but i am still havin a problem.i am to the point of removing the crankshaft pulley. the book isnt too clear or i am missing something. i have removed the 4 12mm bolts around the large bolt in the middle. do i have to remove the center bolt as well? if so is it reverse threaded.also i was using the center bolt to hold the crankshaft from rotating while i removed the outer 4.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/551838_daddys_ride_1.jpg

if i have to remove it what is the right way to keep the engine from rotating.

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:31 PM
JALEXANDER52
  • MERGED

Is it the pulley on the outside of the timing cover?

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:31 PM
JALEXANDER52
  • MERGED

You shouldn't need to remove the center bolt. That bolt should only be holding on the timing part of the crankshaft pulley which is what the timing belt is connected to. If for some reason you decide you do need to take off that bolt, I was told once that you could remove the starter and stick a screwdriver in, to wedge the flywheel so it won't move. Or use an impact on it (the bolt). It is not reverse threaded.

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:31 PM
LALAUREN
  • 1999 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
  • MERGED

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 109000 miles

hello I was just wondering if you may know when I will need or when my timing belt in my car would need to be replaced. I do not have a manual and I think it may be past due for a replacement. Thank you so much!

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:32 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MERGED

Should be replaced every 100k miles

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:32 PM
TTOMSAUTO
  • 1996 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
  • MERGED

I replace my timing belt on my 1996 eclipse 2.0 but idle rough did I marks right

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:32 PM
WRENCHTECH
  • MERGED

If the old belt let go while the engine was running, then there is a very good chance that you have bent valves because this is an interference engine.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:32 PM
ALLEN707
  • 1995 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
  • MERGED

I recently replaced my cylinder head because my timing belt slipped off bending the valves. I got everything back on started the car up and it immediately idles up to 5 goes down to 3000 rpm's and stays there. This is in neutral and 1st gear w/ the clutch depressed. Did not replace all the bolts back into the intake manifold or header manifold. About 2 in the intake an 3 on the exhaust header. Dnt really see how tht could affect the idle like that though

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:32 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
  • MERGED

HUGE vacuum and compression leaks. They give you a certain number of bolts, a specific torque setting, and specific torque pattern.

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:32 PM
ALLEN707
  • MERGED

I torqued the head down the rite way to 25lbs then to 50lbs and also in the correct sequence.

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:32 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
  • MERGED

But you left bolts out. According to your original post. Missing bolts cause vacuum and exhaust leaks. These types of leaks cause extreme power loss and rough idling. Exhaust leaks can cause burned exhaust valves. Which means pulling the heads and at least replacing the valves, if not the whole head.

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:32 PM
ALLEN707
  • MERGED

No I didnt put all the header bolts in and the intake manifold the, the head is bolted down to spec but the exhaust header an intake mani arent all bolted

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:32 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
  • MERGED

Here, I copy/pasted what you just typed:
"No I didnt put all the header bolts in and the intake manifold the, the head is bolted down to spec but the exhaust header an intake mani arent all bolted "
"intake mani arent all bolted" means you left bolts out.

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:32 PM
ALLEN707
  • MERGED

Yea from the headers not the actual cylinder head. The Head of the entire engine has 8 bolts tht need to be torqued and I did those. Will 2 bolts from the headers make it idle/rev like that?

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:32 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
  • MERGED

It could. But you also said you didn't install and torque all of the intake bolts.

Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 8:32 PM