Misfire

CRISSYPERKINS
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
My car was hesitating, sputtering then cutting off. Classic symptoms of fuel filter, sparkplugs, ignition coil, ignition module and crankshaft sensor. Available parts were changed out, only coil hasn't been yet and still throwing a generic misfire code and running the same. What else can it be besides the coil? Won't have it for a couple days and we are stumped if it's not the coil.
Saturday, May 4th, 2013 AT 11:31 AM

ASEMASTER6371
Since you provided no engine size I will generalize

compression test, fuel pressure and spark need to be checked.

Is the check engine light on?

Saturday, May 4th, 2013 AT 11:58 AM
CRISSYPERKINS
Sorry, been at auto parts store all day they know it by heart, it's 2.2 and the f vin. No lights on dash, was reset early this morning and nothing now. Prior to that the trac light would light up on and off, check engine as well. We haven't tried to drive it, popped into gear it sounds worse. No issues with exhaust, no clouds of smoke, no backfire. No smell electrical or fuel. Took 4 hours just to get the misfire code, before that no codes were popping even as it was sputtering.
Saturday, May 4th, 2013 AT 12:43 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Never, never clear the codes till the repair is done and confirmed. Clearing it does nothing but erase vital info for diagnostics.

Did you do any tests?

Saturday, May 4th, 2013 AT 1:10 PM
CRISSYPERKINS
Only code we had prior to clearing was for an O2 sensor we replaced months ago and didn't clear, hoped it would reset and give us something we could work with. We haven't done any tests, I have limited tools and my nephew is working out of his mobile garage since he lives an hour away. Getting her to a garage isn't possible, she'd never make it with the way she is running.
Saturday, May 4th, 2013 AT 1:30 PM