2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Misfire/dying battery

ISPAID
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
When I start my car, it will idle nice and smooth as long as I want. I've left it idle for over an hour with no issues. The car will drive fine on flat roads, but the moment I go uphill and need to apply the accelerator, the car misfires and the CEL blinks. When I get back to a flat road, the CEL stops blinking, then stays off when I shut the car down. Also, the battery dies in about 2 hours after shutting the car down.
Friday, January 23rd, 2015 AT 9:03 AM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

OK, first thing that needs to be done is take for test drive so that you recreate the CEL then goto your local auto parts store and have then pull codes it is most likely an Intermitant problem so light won't remain on. Next have them check your Battery and Charging System.

Post results back on here, make sure you write down the engine code or codes them give you.
Friday, January 23rd, 2015 AT 10:16 AM
ISPAID
The code that was pulled is P0300, or random misfire.

The battery is good, and the alternator is putting out 13.8 volts.
Friday, January 23rd, 2015 AT 12:12 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
OK, well there are multiple causes for that code. Here are a few.

Vacuum Leak
Spark Plug
Weak Coil
Clogged fuel injectors
Vacuum Leak

So, first off when was last tune up?

I would recommend checking for vacuum leaks at vacuum lines and intake manifold and air intake.

I don't find any leaks I would replace Spark Plugs. If that doesn't correct then more testing will be needed.
Friday, January 23rd, 2015 AT 3:04 PM
ISPAID
A friend of mine gave me a spare ignition switch that he had. I installed it because mine would get stuck in the off position from time to time, and it fixed all of the issues. I really did not expect this. After that I changed out plugs wires and air filter. Now it runs like new.
Saturday, January 24th, 2015 AT 8:11 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Great! Glad it was a fairly quick fix.
Saturday, January 24th, 2015 AT 8:48 AM