Misfiring when engine is running?

DIANA MC
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
The car runs good when it is cold, but when it gets warmed up you will be driving and it starts cutting out like it is not getting gas.
Wednesday, December 4th, 2019 AT 8:50 AM

KASEKENNY1
This could be a fuel pump cutting out but I want to clarify if the engine is completely cutting off when it get warm? If this is then it could also be a crank sensor.

Here is the guide to test the fuel pressure. I would suggest just hooking up a gauge and taping it to the windshield so you can see it when driving.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-misfires-or-runs-rough

I attached the info about the crank sensor as well.
Wednesday, December 4th, 2019 AT 3:48 PM
JVALENZ25
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
I was going about 50mph and when I slowed down my car started to jerk and kept jerking when pressing the gas pedal.
Wednesday, July 29th, 2020 AT 11:54 AM (Merged)
DO YOU HAVE. FUEL?

JVALENZ25
Yes just had a oil change last week. Car was not over heating either, could it be a spark plug?
DOUBT JUST 1 PLUG-MAYBE A "NO SPARK" OR "NO FUEL" OR INTERMITTENTLY WORKING.

IS YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON????

IF SO, YOU NEED TO GET IT CODED---GET THE ACTUAL CODE NUMBERS (NOT SOMEBODY'S OPINION OF WHAT THEY MEAN)

JUST A LITTLE TIP....YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL PRESCRIBES THAT YOU CHECK YOUR OIL WEEKLY

ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN A WEEK!

EVER SEE 'EM OUT THERE CHECKING AN AIRPLANE EACH TIME BEFORE IT FLIES?....THAT'S NOT FOR "YOU",......THAT'S FOR THE PILOT, HE'S WANTS TO COME HOME SAFELY

DID YOU PULL THE STICK, IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU GOT IT SERVICED? I HAVE SEEN STRANGE REALLY UNCOMMON THINGS......LIKE A CELL PHONE INHIBITING ONE'S ABILITY TO PROPERLY PERFORM THEIR JOB....LIKE A PLUG LEFT OUT....NOT ENOUGH OIL.....NO OIL AT ALL...WRONG CAR COMPONENT DRAINED (LIKE TRANSAXLE) THE DUMPING 5 EXTRA QUARTS OF OIL INTO THE OIL PAN (WHICH NEVER GOT DRAINED)

MORAL OF THE LAST ONE IS: NOW YOU HAVE 10 QUARTS OF OIL IN YOU ENGINE, AND NO TRANSMISSION FLUID IN YOUR TRANSAXLE!

I KNOW THE CELL PHONE GOT BLAMED...SORRY...SOME PEOPLE JUST FORGET OR THEY'RE THE "NEW GUY"......REGARDLESS WHAT HAPPENS, IF YOU ARE NOT CHECKING THINGS TOO...YOU WILL BE THE ONE "INCONVENIENCED", NO MATTER WHO IS AT FAULT!

ARE YOU ABLE TO REPAIR THINGS?

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

LET'S HEAR ABOUT THE CODES AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT HAS OCCURRED RECENTLY

DOES IT STILL MOVE?

HOW DOES THE ENGINE SOUND?

COULD IT BE A TRANSMISSION ISSUE?

HAVE YOU BEEN UNDER THE HOOD TO SEE IF SOMETHING CAME LOOSE OR BROKE, OR SOUNDS FUNNY?

CHARDEP
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
Hi, when driving and going uphill my 2005 neon jerks. It's like a shaking motion whenever I press the gas pedal. When I let go of the accelerator it appears to go away. The check engine light is on but went off when the oil and other fluids were checked and spark plugs replaced yesterday. But a couple hours later the engine light came back on. Its been like this for a week. Also the car stopped in the middle of the road but came back on when I turned the igniton key and pumped the brake. Turning the key and pumping the brake is how I have to turn on the car everyday. What could be wrong?
Thanks!
2CEXPT
Check engine light:

Have the computer scanned for code/s-you have a problem within the engine management system that caused the CEL to turn on-This is your starting point of diagnosis, finding out what's going on.
-1
MYLAURIE
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
Or if I'm going up a hill the check engine light came on. Sometimes when I'm driving 60 it runs smooth but I feel a little bit of hesitation. Other than the second gear chug it is great.
Wednesday, July 29th, 2020 AT 11:55 AM (Merged)
KEN

It sounds like the engine is misfiring under load which is typical. Here are two guides to help us fix the problem

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-tune-up-a-car-engine

Can you please shoot a quick video with your phone so we can see what's going on, that would be great. You can upload it here with your response.
DODGENWW
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
Why does my car keep throwing cylinder 1 misfire code or what could be the problem making it do this?
This could be anything best to have a local professional freeze frame and record it to see if it is a sensor gone bad. otherwise you will dump a bunch of money on probably good parts. You can check the fuel pressure and compression to see if that is it. auto parts rent the fuel pressure gauge
OLDFELLA1962
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
My check engine light is on, and I took it to AutoZone for a free diagnostic reading.

They say my #3 cylinder is misfiring. This is the third time this happened in the past year! Last time I changed the spark plugs, and the car ran fine for a couple of months.

Then I changed the spark plug wires, and the car ran okay but only for a few weeks.

So what does this have to do with only my #3 cylinder having the problem? Wouldn't all the cylinders have firing problems?
2CEXPT
A specfic cylinder misfire should prompt you to check the sparkplug, compression and injector.

Engine misfires can be caused by worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak spark (weak coil, bad spark plug wire), loss of compression, vacuum leaks, anything that causes an unusually lean fuel mixture (lean misfire), an EGR valve that is stuck open, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or even bad fuel.
ARMYFAMILY08
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
We got a new car in July of 2005. Army moved us to Germany. We have had no problems with the car. We love it. But just reciently we have been having issues when we are stopped at a light, sign or the gate for an ID check the car's idol slowly drops and starts to chug. We have gotten a diognostic test at our military car care center and they told us it's misfireing and we need new spark plugs and wires. We had just reciently gotten new plug wires due to marters (a.K.A. Rats) chewing the origional ones. So we got new spark plugs and had them installed. The check engine light went off and was alright. Now it is chugging again at every stop and the check enging light is on yet again. I need help please! Anyone! This military family could really use any advice!
BMRFIXIT
If you cycle the key on off 3 times ending with key on you should be able to get the codes in the odometer area
let me know what you have for codes
have the wires rechecked

Have an automotive repair question!
Sign up and ask your automotive question !
https://www.2carpros.com/affiliate/uid/bmrfixit_1_tlid_1
JENANDMIL
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
When ever I drive my car over a bump in the road the car jerks. I take my foot off the gas and it stops. Sometimes if im going up a hill driving it will do it also. Im just trying to see what might cause this and how it can be fixed and cost.
2CEXPT
Lack of acceleration, chugging, hesitating, bogging, misfiring etc. Could be caused by one of the following below:

Oxygen sensor.
Catalytic converter.
Fuel injectors dirty/sticking.
Mass airflow sensor/Airflow meter.
Throttle position sensor.
Crankshaft position sensor
Knock sensor
Manifold absolute pressure sensor.
EGR Valve
Fuel pressure regulator leaking or defective fuel pump.
False air leakage.
Fuel contamination.
Foul/defective spark plugs.
Open spark plug wires.
Ignition coil/Coil packs defective.
Incorrect ignition timing.
Cap and rotor.

Note:If it doesn't apply disregard it.
-1
HEATHER08
  • 2004 DODGE NEON
At low idle, the car chugs and has no horsepower, and sometimes miss fires. We have changed the spark plugs many times and even with really expensive plugs with a five year warranty they died with in three months. What could be causing our car to burn though spark plugs. And how much will it cost to fix?
Wednesday, July 29th, 2020 AT 11:56 AM (Merged)
AIRSOFTSOLDRECN9
Are they completely black or are the electrodes burned off? If it is black the engine is too rich. Check the MAP, TPS and CTS sensors for proper functioning.

Sponsored links