Knock sensor

BLD123
  • 1999 MERCURY VILLAGER
6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 86,000 miles

I recently took my villager to a mechanic and he attempted to change the knock sensor without quoting me a price before he did the job. After a week of not being finished, I wondered what on earth was going on. So, I went down there and he had the whole top of the motor tore out. When he told me that it was going to be 950 dollars, I nearly fell over. I told him to put the old knock sensor back in and redo the wiring leading to the wiring harness, so that I wouldn't have to pay as much and still receive an emissions sticker. Afterwards, he put the motor back together and there now is a miss in the engine. So, my question is how long does an average mechanic needs to change a knock sensor on a 1999 Mercury Villager. Also, why is the engine now missing and losing power on hills? Thank you

Ben Dowler
Friday, June 13th, 2008 AT 7:24 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
A good mechanic can do this job from start to finish in 3 hours. God only knows what he didnt put back together right causing the misfire
Friday, June 13th, 2008 AT 8:03 PM
THERESA HELLEMS
I took my 2000 mercury Villager to a mechanic today. The van runs then dies out so I have to keep restarting it or drive with one foot on the gas and one on the brake. They said it was a knock sensor. My question is this, My whole exhaust system fell off. Would this maybe fix the problem if I have that replaced first? I bought this lemon 2 months ago and still paying on it. Nothing but problems from day one. Thank you
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 AT 10:40 AM
KEN
It doesn't sound like it, they are two different problems. Do you have a check engine light on? If so here is a guide to help us see if there are any codes so we can get the problem fixed for you.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Thursday, August 24th, 2017 AT 11:15 AM
THERESA HELLEMS
Yes its on. I was trying to go the cheaper repair route. Lol. Thanks again, I will take a loss on this van. I have paid 1200 plus numerous problems and repairs. Still not running right. Taking back to the car lot and telling him forget it.
Thursday, August 24th, 2017 AT 12:13 PM
KEN
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, August 25th, 2017 AT 11:57 AM